News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Problems with WR....

Started by sleddog, March 25, 2014, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleddog

Im in Terlingua, TX, on my way back from Mexico. The bike is showing the classic signs of fuel pump issues....cutting out when ambient temps are warm. letting it cool off it will be fine. I've replaced the fuel pump. The problem still exists. Can anyone with WR knowledge throw out some suggestions?

Thanks

Sleddog

Fletch

all I got is the typical checks:

fuel tank venting
filter
spark plug
check electrical connections

good luck
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

tannerc

Bogus Jim might have some clues for you, I think he was having the same problems.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

Jack, did you replace the fuel filter as well or just the pump? When my wrr was acting up I replaced the pump with a 3rd party unit and that didn't help. Then I replaced the fuel filter (after trying 18 other things) and that seemed to fix it.

I guess the other possibility is that your eBay replacement pump was bad, that seems unlikely though.

sleddog

I did not change the filter. I think I may have found the problem. I used a wrong type of fuel line inside the tank. I've changed it to one thats FI rated & submersible. We'll see.

Thanks for the comments

Sleddog

Fletch

is it fuel injected?   if so I would change the filter for sure. Some FI systems will effectively "back wash" the filter when you turn them off, somewhat cleaning a plugged filter. THis makes them run fine on start up and then once the filter plugs up again the problems return.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

sleddog

An update to the problem. I hung around & rode quite a bit in the Big Bend area without any issues. I left Terlingua & rode to Presidio without any issues (70 miles) On the way to Marfa it quit 5-6 times. Not enough to pull over as it recovered before I got to the shoulder. I went to the city park in Marfa & pulled the tank & cut the fuel filter out. I haven't had any further issues, including riding the CDR through New Mexico & spending a week riding the  Moab area. The new filter is in a box in the garage & I'll be installing it soon.

Thanks for the suggestions

Sleddog