News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Winter riding?

Started by osufrdave, September 15, 2010, 04:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question: I'm looking at the winter that is in front of us and would like to have a lighter, more nimble off road bike. Realistically, do you all get out to the trails much between Oct-March?  Considering a XR650L or a CRF450X.   :-\

I never ride between Oct - Mar
0 (0%)
I ride 2-4 times between Oct - Mar
0 (0%)
I ride 5-10 times between Oct - Mar
3 (42.9%)
There is a winter? I never noticed.
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 29, 2010, 04:59:37 AM

Lee Bruns

Quote from: Osnabrock on November 26, 2010, 09:14:37 PM
I'm looking to stud up some tires and am looking for some advice from those who have done it.  How many screws should I put on each tire?  I'm finding that I can buy them in packs of 250 and 1000. 
I'm not looking to ride on ice so much as ride on packed snow on ND gravel roads. 
Any advice?

Studs don't help on dep snow, paddles are better for that, Studs are SCARY on pavement, but sweeet on ice and the hard packed snow that you'll have on teh gravel roads. figure on 500 screws per tire for your dual purpose riding, three and four per lug. Don't forget the sides. and keep a bunch of spares because a bunch will fling out when you ride. Enjoy!! Get the short ones so they dont' go too deep and puncture the tube.

loingrader

Quote from: Lee Bruns on November 28, 2010, 10:29:45 AM
Studs are SCARY on pavement

i've heard it compared to riding on marbles.

great advice lee.  sounds like you've done this a time or two. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lee Bruns

the club plows out a circle track every now and then on frozen lake kampeska and has some fun hot laps. Its a good time. Then in February we hold the Popcycle Derby so everyone gets practice riding on frozen pavement and icy roads also. Eventually we'll all be crippled I suppose.

The Yeti

Xtreme Ice Racing at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, Dec. 11:

http://www.gotmine.com/display_event.php?id=1382
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Dr Psyko

I once took my then new izusu trooper out onto a lake ice road racing course carved out by the local loonies, and drove the piss out of it for about an hour. The next morning I went out to the car and found it sitting on 4 flat tires. Evidently had broken the bead on all 4 tires bouncing off the frozen berms of the course. Was alot of fun though...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.