News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Dual Sport tires....

Started by Dr Psyko, October 27, 2010, 01:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Psyko

I think this might be opening Pandora's Box, but I'm interested in your opinions about DS tires. I need a new set for the KLR next spring. I looked at the ADV site, but there are so many opinions (some crazy) in so many different riding environments, hard to make sense of it. I know this is a version of the web topic from Hell, namely oils, but here I am. My rear bridgestone TW22 was nice on the road, but was way underwhelming on the trail. The original Dunlop on the front is amazingly cupped, completely gone.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

loingrader

EASY answer.  Kenda K270.  Cheap, awesome off road (dirt, to rock gardens), and dang good on road (interstate or twisties or even rain or snow).  I get close to 6000 miles out of them mostly commuting.  rear is bald by then and front is nicely cupped. 

i get mine from denniskirk.com

i've had 3 pairs on my KLR and it will never have anything else on it as long as they are available. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Osnabrock

In my experience.......
Many people I ride with like D606's but they aren't my cup of tea.  They slide around a lot before hooking up, which is fun, but not what I want.  They slide like banannas when you hit the brakes hard on the pavement.
I like a combo of the Perelli MT21 rear and a Michelin T63 front.  The Perelli rear clears itself of mud pretty easily and grip on the pavement.  They're really good on rocks too.  The T63 front looks weak but holds it's ground like a champ.
I have yet to try the Michelin T63 rear because Dennis Kirk seldom has them in stock, but they are based off of a very reliable tire (Michelin Desert), that cost significantly more.  The T63 front lasts about as long as as three rears in my experience.
-John

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Hank

I'm with Bret on the K270 for a bike like the KLR.  Also have a K270 rear on my DRZ and I like it, will be putting a front K270 on it at some point.   Cheap, long lasting, and a really good compromise for on/off road.   Every dual sport tire by nature is a compromise.

I tried a few different tires on my 950 (K270s won't handle that weight and power I don't think) and I really liked the TKC-80 on that.

I generally try to buy my tires from the local shop, but if I do buy online I like SW mototires for street tires.  DK has better K270 pricing though.

Just did a quick comparison @ DK vs. SW and DK has better prices today, by quite a bit!
Wasn't the case last summer though.

loingrader

i have no local shop and mount the tires myself (as i assume you do hank) and i agree with sw moto tires for the expensive street tires and dennis kirk for the cheaper street or dual sport tires.

but yea, i always check both before i order.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

The K270 rear was a little too squirmy on the Xcountry rear.

I'm really happy with the Michelin T63 rear(Looking forward to trying the front 63). It is much tougher than the 270 and was a few dollars cheaper as well.

I've been having good luck purchasing from Motorcyclesuperstore.com

I have a good front 270 (21") that you could try.

Bogus Jim

I run Pirelli MT21's front and rear... they are a super-sticky tire. Mud, rocks, roots, gravel, pavement. The only downside for me is the rear lasts 3,000-3,500 miles, at best. Maybe that is why they are so sticky.