News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Transalpe Honda

Started by Black Hawk, November 12, 2010, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Hawk

Whaked did you ever get the honda back together  after the fall rally?
I have been looking around Az and CA and that honda is hard to find.
Dick
Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

Wacked

Dick -

Thanks for the thoughts....

Funny you should ask.  This past Tuesday was the 1st time I was able to ride it since I was out in the Hills.  Took it for about 50 miles.  Got everything beat back together except the front fairing.  Without the fairing, it looks like an apocalyptic bike but it was a gorgeous day and I couldn't resist.

Just last night, I did my first run of fiberglass to get the fairing back together.  Hope the ABS and glass stay bonded.  I do have a plan B for a Dakar looking fairing but we'll see how this repair goes.

So, have you been able to get some riding in down south?   Does your brother head south also?  Any other guys in your neighborhood get out and hit the trails?

Brad

Black Hawk

I stopped in Moab for three days.
I found out the bikes there only have two speeds
Stopped or wide open.
The TW200 works well but it dont go as fast as every one else
The good thing is the TW loves single track and keeps going and going and going.

Brother bob stays in rapid and rides almost every other day.
you might try lonesome dave he rides on the weekends.

Hope you get everything to bond together on the honda.
For some reason there are no motorcycle salvage yards around Yuma.
And no KLRs
Later Dick
Yuma AZ in the winter

Black Hawk

Ok just figured out that i have stupid fingers that can't spell
There is no E in transalp
And there is no H in wacked.
I have decided that getting old is not near as much fun as I thought it would be.  :P  ::)
Yuma AZ in the winter

Hank

What did I miss?  What happened to the TA?

Wacked

Hank -

Luckily, there are only a hand-full of witnesses!

So, we were out on our 2nd day and our guide Jacin had a sweet route goin.  It was mid-afternoon and we were somewhere several miles west of the Sugar Shack - no idea where.  We were exploring a route that really turned into a once traveled ATV trail that petered out into a fence.  Just turned around.

This trail was in the woods, and we had to jump a log while navigating a corner.  Jumping the log on the way back, my rear tire ski-daddled down the log before it jumped over and cleared.  When I landed on two wheels - cocked 30 degrees different than I had hoped - the bike and a tree had a low speed disagreement.  Had to stop, remove the fairing, and bend apart some metal pieces that were impinging on the forks.

NDDave was traumatized by the sight of shattered antique plastic - but I need to thank him for staying back, working through the agony, and helping me to clean up the front.

So mean-while, Jacin comes back to our repair station in the woods and reports that to get out of this valley, we need to go up this long steeper hill.  Yea, it's strewn with medium size rocks.  If we want, we can go out the way we came.  But, he thinks he found a real trail just over the crest..... and the good news is that everybody else has made it.

OK.  Dave and I follow.  The last bit of this trail really wasn't a problem.  In fact I OWNED the hill.........  except for the last 10 yards when I got pulled to the left of my line and flopped the Transalp on it's side.  At this point I'm worn, pissed, and done.  I'm not sure who all helped - I think Dale, Dave, and Jacin -  I know it took a group effort to hoist it up to the crest.

Came out fairly well.  Bent up left pannier, Givi bars, and the internal structure that holds the front light and fairing.  Busted the clutch lever and perch.  Shattered front fairing.  No broken bones.  Gimped her home and rode the TW for the rest of the week. 

Would I do it again?  Absolutely.