News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab and beyond..........

Started by JoniJo, November 14, 2010, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoniJo

3 thoughts.......
#1 I hope ya'll don't mind but I thought that giving the Moab Trip its own thread would be appropriate. Do you agree? Uh huh...I thought you would. Thanks.
#2 I vote for Hotel or Cabin. I need my Banky... Don't tell me I can have my Banky in a tent. I know that!!!!  ::)
#3 Now this is a scary one. I'm thinkin' bout gettin' a KLR650. (In total shock, The crowd went silent.....) What I want to know from all you experts out there is.... Are there any particular years to avoid? Advice on things to watch out for, etc. What color should I get? (My eyes are kinda hazel) Really......any advice would be appreciated.
P.S. That would mean I'd probably be getting rid of my KLX250.  :'(                                         Joni

JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Hank

The only year KLR I would avoid is 08 because of the supposed oil burning issues, but those problems were hit and miss I think.  I guess if you found an 08 that doesn't burn oil, why not.

I personally prefer the older version (07 and older), less plastic to break, but the newer version is definitely better on the road.

agspecialties

Come one, my 08 doesn't burn no oil.

Give me some input on the Moab trip you are talking about?

Hank

Figures as soon as I post that someone puts one up for sale  :'(

You're proof that the problem wasn't universal!

agspecialties

It a gamble. Both of my KLR's don't burn oil, but i have a buddy that has one that burns oil. That is even after a bore job, new piston and new head. It still burns oil. Can't explain it. Compression test is great on it too. Leak down tests out good. The freaking thing just burns oil.

Joni, if you are looking at a KLR, my only advise is, ride one out on some trails like we ride in the black hills. I own two KLR's but you if you remember right, in the summer ride, i rode my XR 650l.

I was out there the week after you guys were out there in September. I took my KLR and we rode some nasty single track out there.
My KLR came home broke up. Its like wrestling a pig in a closet. Heavy and your ride position is the biggest thing. The XR feels like a dirtbike, so you can single track that thing and it feels normal. The KLR feels like a road bike. It doesn't feel right when you stand up on it or trying to move it around. Plus the gearing is a little taller then the XR.
Bottom line, i am in Norfolk and have both bikes. You are more then welcome to ride them both. I have some single track a couple of miles from my shop.
If you like the KLR, i will sell you one cheap.