Garmin 60Cx at Amazon - $170 shipped!

Started by The Yeti, December 09, 2010, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Amazon has an unbelievable deal on the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, $170 shipped.  The lowest I've ever seen is $200, and the next lowest right now is $255.  If you're even remotely considering buying a handheld GPS, I'd jump on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60Cx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSWHCY
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Dr Psyko

I don't know anything about GPS! Would this be a good unit to put on a bike?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Lonesome Dave

I love mine, its the best one I've ever had.  However mine is a 60CSx. Not sure what the difference is, but I think its just electronic compass.  I like mine because you can see it in bright sunlight and it never loses its signal.  Batteries last around 15 hours.  Keep in mind they don't make this model anymore, and thats why their selling them cheap.  But you can still buy accessories like mounting hardware.  When I first started carrying it, I clipped it on my backpack and turned it on.  I can ride all day and it keeps track of where I've been.  At home I download today's trail to topo software so I can see on the map where I've been.  I don't know, WHY, I just like maps I guess.  The only downside I have is the small screen, but it really doesn't matter, I can't see small print anyway, so I just use my glasses.  Before buying, make sure it comes with Garmin's TOPO software.  I've seen them where they don't and you have to spend another 100 bucks.  Dave
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

I have a 60Cx, I think it's a good unit for a bike. Mine has survived probably a dozen heavy rain storms, a dunk under water (dumped the bike in a really deep mud hole) and a pretty bad hailstorm north of Custer. I thought the screen was going to crack but it didn't.

I use a RAM handlebar mount which is about $28 at Amazon.

RAM mount

I don't use the maps as much as I thought I would... mainly I just download the track after a day's ride, like Lonesome Dave said. You can download your track log to google earth (free software).

The Yeti

I ended up getting the 60csx (the S is for 'sensors', includes compass & altimeter).  I got in on the very tail end of a 'Gold Box' special over at Amazon and got the 'S' version for the same as the cx - $169.  When I clicked on the link, there was only 57 seconds left!

Comes with really crappy base maps only, but I already had the 2011 City Nav & 2008 topo.   ;)

I use a RAM handlebar mount and hard-wired power as well.

Hank

If you want your head to spin go try to do a side by side comparison of Garmin's models.   Variety/choice is nice but they've gone a bit far with it... so much model overlap and just a ridiculous number of models.

sleddog

Quote from: The Yeti on December 20, 2010, 09:48:33 AM
Comes with really crappy base maps only, but I already had the 2011 City Nav & 2008 topo.   ;)

Can you load the 2011 city Nav & open without a unlock code?

Sleddog

The Yeti

Quote from: sleddog on December 20, 2010, 10:08:37 AM

Sleddog

Yup.

sleddog

Quote from: The Yeti on December 22, 2010, 09:52:30 AM

Sleddog

Yup.

Was the 2011 City Nav a free download?

The Yeti

Quote from: sleddog on December 27, 2010, 08:21:15 AM
Quote from: The Yeti on December 22, 2010, 09:52:30 AM

Sleddog

Yup.

Was the 2011 City Nav a free download?

Well, it was free, but....PM me if you want to know more.   ;)