Saturday August 6 Pre-Rally Exloration ride

Started by Sportfaller, August 02, 2011, 07:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Quote from: Sportfaller on August 03, 2011, 05:44:56 PM
BTW, being able to overlay the USFS travel map on google earth pretty much kicks A.

Josh - how exactly do you do that??
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

The Yeti

Quote from: Sportfaller on August 04, 2011, 10:22:00 AM
just click this link, it takes you to the download for the KML file.

Ahhh, I see! I have the Garmin file, but didn't know what the KML file was for.  Tried to open it on my work computer and it bogs it down too much (old, slow machine). I'll try it when I get home. Thanks!

Lonesome Dave

Hey, where's Slate Creek Grille?  I assume its on Main St?  8:00 am is fine with me. Just fixed my speedo display tonight, changed the gearing and installed dynojet in carb earlier this week.  Suzy is ready to roll !!!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Sportfaller

Yeti- The KML file is a google earth layer format, it will add all the roads to google earth, you just have to unzip it first

Dave- Slate creek is on the corner of main and deerfield, on the right... the old continental cafe
Josh

Dr Psyko

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

The Yeti

Quote from: Sportfaller on August 04, 2011, 10:33:40 PM
Yeti- The KML file is a google earth layer format, it will add all the roads to google earth, you just have to unzip it first

Yeah, I figured that out, but Google Earth wouldn't run very well on my work computer.  Checked it out last night at home, very cool!

jacin theis

are we eating at 8:00? or do i need to be ready to ride. you were kinda of a hardass on the trip to Moab, so just checking.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

eating, then riding... hardass, pshhhh. I go nowhere on an empty stomach.
Josh

jacin theis

its good to eat when you can. one never know when a trip to the ER will limit access to food.....but i bet the mexican tasted oohhh so good when you got out!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

plumber mike

I gunna miss you guys today. Radiator came in yesterday, but plumbing got in the way :(

I'll be ready for the next one.

Ride safe fellas.....I'll be in the basement wrenching :-\

Sportfaller

no all night work session to get ready today mike? maybe next time then!
Josh

Osnabrock

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Bogus Jim

QuoteSo, what did you find?

Well among other things, we found a 50-60 yard mud pit. :D All of us had to paddle through that a bit... Jacin and John were riding 1200's and that section probably wasn't a lot of fun for them.

Then we rode the trail that goes up the north side of Bear Mountain. I think most folks at the fall rally would enjoy that, it's a fun climb with a switchback or two, and a great view at the top.

After Bear Mountain we rode most of Josh's southern loop. I'm glad Josh finally got to ride that, after all he is the guy who created the route! We finished with the 319 trail that goes by Pilger Mountain. That is a section of 319 that I did not ride the first time with Gerry and Dave, because we lost the track a couple times even though we had 2 GPS's and about 8 maps. It gets a bit rocky and sandy in places... it was probably the toughest and most fun section that we rode yesterday.

We did not ride the whole loop. The temperature got hotter than I expected, and by 2:30-3:00 we all decided to call it a day and headed home. I forgot my camera again so no pictures. 220 miles on the odometer when I pulled into the garage.

Thanks to Jacin, Josh, Lonesome Dave and John (Josh's dad, oops, I mean, Josh's brother  :D) for a fun ride.