News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Restless Ride Syndrome...

Started by Sportfaller, May 16, 2012, 12:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportfaller

I suffer from it, and my Restless Ride Syndrome is acting up this spring.  the f800 is good a good compromise bike, good road and travel bike, but only a moderately good bike offroad.  Some folks are making them WAY WAY better offroad, but to the tune of about $5000 of wheels and suspension.  I've been riding 80% or better offroad the last year, and am getting a serious twitch, and that brings me to this:

or

or

or

Its bad that there is a local husqvarna dealer now!!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Bogus Jim

This one is sitting in Sturgis, just waiting for you.

http://ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-motorcycles-for-sale.php?ktm=2012-350-EXC-F&model=62

street legal, EFI, elec. start, 240lbs.  Although, I guess the 530 would have at least one advantage; you don't have to worry about what gear you're in because it's got enough torque to pull stumps in any gear.  ;)

ADV thread on the bike:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718597

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this affliction :)

Lee Bruns

after looking at initial purchase price, weight, service costs, power, reliability, parts availability, aftermarket suport and anythign else I can think of. I just don't see any bike out there in the same league as the DR400 Suzuki for the ultimare all around TRUE dual sport. Yes, some might work ebtter offroad or on road but their service intervals are awful (Looking at you BMW) others are HEAVY (looking at the KLR) others have outrageous buy-in prices, or no aftermarket support, or no dealers. Add it all up, and really, is anything even comperable to the DR400?
   No, I don't own a DR400, but I will, thats for darned sure.

jacin theis

I am supposed to service mine?   :P        "the cheapest thing on a....." ;)
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Osnabrock

The biggest thing for me, going from a bigger bike to a smaller bike, was the feeling that I needed the power/torque when I was first looking for a more dirt worthy bike.  All the bikes pictured above are heavy on torque.
When I first started looking, I went set on the WR250R after seeing and hearing how well they treated BogusJim and Yeti.  I was b-lining for the WRR but checked out the DRZ because there was one at the dealer.   The torque was closer to the KLR that I was coming from so it just felt better at the time.  I made an offer that I didn't expect the dealer to accept, and I ended up taking it home.
Because of the similar torque to the bigger bike, I didn't have to change my riding style too much but I developed some bad habits because of this.  I relied on power getting me out of trouble, rather than proper riding technique.
Now, riding the DRZ on slick trails or deep ruts freaks me out because of the weight.  I've gotten caught out in some bad weather.  In mud, it's a lot of bike to slow down and in ruts, it's a lot of bike to persuade out of those ruts.  On the other hand, going through rocks,  the weight of the DRZ is great because the deflection doesn't affect the overall stability of the bike much.
Some day I'd like to have one of the KTM 450, 520, 525, or 530's.  They're easily found for a good price these days.  Good engines from what I've heard.
I've sat on, not ridden, the Huskys and don't really like how they feel beneath me.  I have heard that they have a less "twitchy" suspension feel compared to the KTMs.
I'll be happy to hear what you find in your search.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Sportfaller

I like the idea of fuel injection on the TE510, plus the two built in fuel maps, a "hot switch" and top of the line suspension.  But there is just a VASTLY expansive field of aftermarket parts for the KTM, like the 690 rally kit:

The 690 enduro R has a lot better service intervals than the 530, but you give up some suspension. The 2013 models are supposed to be released this week, and i think the 690 has FI now.  I'd like to find one to try out, see just how different it is from my 800.  A friend from high school is a Rice, as in Rice honda/ktm, and I have him on the lookout for late model 690's in the area.

I rode about 120 miles yesterday, 60 of which was trails around nemo/benchmark/galena and the bike was doing fine, but the front springs piss me off more and more.  I have progressives and higher weight oil to drop in this weekend, we'll see if that helps much, but its no ohlins TTX or WP extreme.

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Bogus Jim

Lonesome Dave

Josh at that low low price, you good keep them both.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Sportfaller

I hate you all. :o

Sent from my smarter-than-I-am phone using tapatalk 2
Josh

Fletch

you can try my 300XC-w if you are not dead set on a street legal bike. you can usually find decent ones for around 4-5k
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Sportfaller

I'd be all about the 300xc-w, and make it legal, IF I could afford two bikes.  I think I'd be wishing for more cc's for longer local rides.

if I get a second bike, it'll be a 200ish dualsport for my fiance.

next time we're out I'd still ride your 300, and you can test out the 800  ;D
Josh

greatbuffalo

Josh, just call off the wedding and focus on yourself. Its all about individual happiness, isn't it?? :evil
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Sportfaller

Josh