News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Dual Sport Rentals

Started by Black Hills Back Country, May 18, 2013, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Hills Back Country

Ok guys... I need some expert opinions.  I found an insurance company that will allow me to start renting out Dual Sport bikes.  Now the problem is going to be figuring out which bikes would be the most popular and cost effective.  I'm a little behind the power curve for this year but I may buy a couple to feel out the market.  I'm leaning toward GS 650s or maybe Sartaos.  There is a lot of experience on this forum and I would like to hear what you guys think.

Lonesome Dave

That's a tough question!  What kinda market are you going for?  Are you expecting them to leave and tour the hills via main roads, or up the Piedmont Fire Trail and beyond.  To me,   BMW parts would be too expensive when they fall over.  With that size 650cc, a KLR would be cheaper to buy and fix.  But not as smoooooooth.  Are they riding 2 up?  Me, I'd say small 250s.  Or better yet, the mighty Yamaha TW200!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

For the experienced rider, The KLR 650 is very hard to beat. Rock solid reliable, relatively cheap and easy to fix, and reasonable off and on road. The DRZ 400 fits in there too

For the less experienced, the Yamaha XT225, for the same reasons I stated above.

What a great idea.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Dual Sport Rentals, Great idea!
KLR's for the road/ gravel/ fire roads
CRF250L's for those who want to see a little more.  8)
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

I think that's a great idea too!

My criteria would be:

Cheap to buy.
Cheap to maintain.
Durable.
Cheap and plentiful parts available.
Easy to ride for all skill levels.

So with that, I'd throw BMW right out the window.  I'd consider KLR650, DRZ400, and XT225.   If you think you'll have a lot of rookie customers I'd question the KLR too, as it could be a handful for noobs.

That's my .02!

Black Hills Back Country

I definitely think I need a couple of 250s.  I'm leaning toward KLX250S or CRF250L (Fuel injection is a plus).  I also think a couple of KLRs would be in order.  I'm probably too late this year but I would like to have a couple of bigger bikes for people to tour the hills and surrounding area (Big Horns, Grand Tetons, Ect.) and allow two up riding.  I've done it on a KLR but it would be nice to have something other than a Thumper for those long rides (just ask my wife). :D

I've never owned a KLX or a CRF.  Any benefit between the two other than fuel injection on the CRF.  I've had a WR250R and I liked it but they are a little bit more money.

Keep the suggestions coming!  It's nice to have fellow dual sport riders to bounce ideas off of.

Osnabrock

I think greatbuffalo was right on with his suggestion of the XT225.  It's got a more manageable set height than most of the others mentioned.
How about the Super Sherpa?  They're a little harder to find but, like the XT, they have a lower seat height and are super reliable.
You probably should pepper in the bigger bikes just to keep the experienced folks happy too.  It all depends on your clientele.

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

For the two-up set, my suggestion would the 650 Vstrom. Lots of room for 2, reliable as anything out there, quite stable on gravel, and again, less expensive and easier at repair time.

Fuel injection  IS nice but the repair, if anything goes wrong, is much higher compared to a carb.

The Sherpa was on my mind but as you said, harder to find and when you do, the price is quite high compared to others. Great machine though; light, basic, agile, rock solid reliability, and very easy to fix.

Black Hills Back Country

I like the XT225s but it's hard to find clean used ones and I'm not crazy about the way the new XT250s look.  They kind of went with a retro look.

I'm also trying to figure out a way to buy the different bikes from the same dealers to help get a better deal. KLX/KLR or CRF/DRZ/V-STORM. 

The more I look into this the more confused I get.  The ATV rental business is a whole lot easier!

greatbuffalo

Good luck on this venture. I'm sure it could be fraught with decisions and logistics. Better you than me. That stuff gets me frustrated.

loingrader

I love tdubs and klrs but id go with the wee, drz400 and crf combo

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

The CRF is a very nice, manageable machine. It does meet all the requirements I'd have. It does have FI but I'd look past that. ;)

Fletch

I know nothing about the rental market so take this with a grain of salt:

I would expect the average renter to be fairly inexperienced so bike requirments would be minimal. I would go with either a honda or Yamaha in a 250.. cheaper to buy/maintain and eaier to ride (less crash damage)   just my opinion..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Dr Psyko

Agree. Have to think these would get incredibly bashed. Insurance must be scary! I remember a friend renting a scooter once during a drunk-a-thon, and it got destroyed and abandoned in another state.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

Wow! There's a happy thought. Your fleet of XTs, rented by a Bachelor Party, found bruised, beaten and battered, in Wyoming. There's reason to put this idea to bed.  ;D ;D