News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

F800GS vs 990 Adventure

Started by Black Hills Back Country, October 01, 2014, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Hills Back Country

I hope I don't start a fight with this thread but I'm trying to decide between an 800gs and a 990 Adventure.  I've been on an 800 and liked it but I haven't had the chance to ride a 990.  I currently ride a KLR650.  It's been a great bike but i'm looking for something with a little more snort and something that isn't quite as miserable to run down the interstate on.  There's a wealth of knowledge on here so I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks in Advance.

Lonesome Dave

Well this should be interesting.........Hank, Fletch, Josh, and many others?   :-\
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Well, I've never ridden the F800GS.   

I loved my 950 minus some maintenance issues that have pretty much been resolved (water pump seals).   

Everyone here that's ridden the Tiger 800 will say good things too, myself included.

So, in a nutshell, I'm no help at all.

I'd say get a ride on both, and go from there.

Black Hills Back Country

Here's the bike that got me thinking more seriously about 990s.  It seems like a lot of bike for the money.

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4677841737.html

loingrader

Lot of bike for sure!  Invariably you will then want a smaller ds bike too.  Either brand will have significantly higher maintenance costs and repair/farkling costs associated with it than your KLR.  As long as you know that going in I don't think either is a bad choice.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

Haven't rideen the 800, but lost ved my 990. Works very well for its size and can crank out the highway miles in comfort.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

I've only spent a very little time on each and my vote goes to the 990. It has to be one of the most planted bikes I've been on. 65 - 70 mph on loose twisty gravel was all I needed to become enamored.

You can silicate all the opinions from others, but nothing can take the place of putting the bike under your butt and going for a ride. That being said, the side of this equation that doesn't need seat time was pointed out by Loingrader. Each of those bikes will cost more to keep. The KTM shown has gotten most of the farkling done, that's a bonus.

If I were able to be in the market next spring, the KTM and the Triumph Tiger 800xc would be on the short list. I have yet to ride the triumph though. I do feel that with all the big ADV bikes I've ridden, the KTM 900 ADV has got to be the best off road and pretty dang good on the hard black stuff as well.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Black Hills Back Country

Well guys...I listened to all of the good advice...thought about it long and hard...and went in the complete opposite direction (ha ha).  I found a good deal on a Tenere and now the old KLR has someone to keep her company.  I took it out for a few hundred mile ride yesterday.  I stayed to main roads for the most part.  She'll need some upgrades before I can get too far off road but I did take it down some mild fire trails and was very impressed.  I worked a set of TKC80s into the deal and have a skid plate and crash bars on the way.  I hope the weather holds until I get them mounted.  I'm probably the only ones dumb enough to buy a motorcycle in October but I've never been known for thinking things through.

Thanks for the help

greatbuffalo

I think you will like it. With a bit of work it can make a good gravel runner or even 2 track ride. I have given the Tenere some thought myself. There are a lot of them on the used market with lots of $$ left on the table. I put that bike in the same category off road wise, as my 955 Tiger. Far better on road but will get dirty with a bit of encouragement.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?