News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Farmingdale Videos, and GoPro mic comparison

Started by Bogus Jim, October 01, 2012, 08:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

My GoPro quit working earlier this fall... finally got a replacement unit back from tech support. Decided to hit some easy stuff at Farmingdale yesterday and experiment with microphones.

The Farmingdale 2 clip is using an external mic, down the front of my jersey. There's some static in the audio, which I think is caused by the wind hitting my jersey and rubbing against the mic. The static stops when the bike is not moving. There's a woman laying across one of the trails in this video... I was a bit confused by that until I got closer and saw what she was doing.  ;D

The Farmingdale 1 clip is using the GoPro internal mic. The wind noise is pretty bad over 30 mph. There's also the annoying click-click from the clip-on helmet mount, when you hit a rough patch. I think I like the external mic much better. I need to try and get rid of the static though. I may try putting the mic in the back of my jersey, or maybe inside the helmet.

jacin theis

Just be glad you she was one THAT side of the trail. Sheesh.   That audio is better. Does it have a foam wind cover on it? When i used to do audio wind was always an issue.  You might mount it on the foam bar pad, i think anything metal will just resonate through the mount. This all said with the understanding that requirement and noise cancellation have come a long way since i really worked in the field. I bet Yeti can chime in here.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Bogus Jim

Quote from: jacin theisJust be glad she was on THAT side of the trail. Sheesh.
She was aiming towards one of the cross-country riding areas, too... wonder how long before somebody gets shot out there? The area across from the parking lot sounded like a movie set Sunday, there was so much gunfire.

Quote from: jacin theisDoes it have a foam wind cover on it?
No, the external mic does not have a wind cover. I'll probably experiment with that.

I found this video of a wind cover for the GoPro internal mic. I had to watch the video twice, the first time I wasn't able to concentrate on the product itself.  ;D

jacin theis

I think that Great Buffalo will find her website useful. She has some great info on shooting camers and lighting. I love the internet..
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Fletch

Quote from: BogusJim on October 02, 2012, 11:07:16 AM

I found this video of a wind cover for the GoPro internal mic. I had to watch the video twice, the first time I wasn't able to concentrate on the product itself.  ;D

I watched it twice and still don't know what she said ???
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

I'll have to check that out and see if I understand it.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

The audio on my Contour is even worse than the GoPros. I haven't got around to doing anything about it.

Check out Accidental Broadcast's setup. If you've seen his vids (and I know you have Jim because you're the one who told me about him), you know it works awesome!

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"