News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Ice Riding

Started by Bogus Jim, November 26, 2012, 08:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Mark from Canada (the group that came down after the fall rally) sent me this video link... figured you guys might enjoy since the weather is getting colder now.

The rider with the helmet cam is his son. Starts out on a YZ125 then switches to a WRF (when the wheelies start). This sure looks like fun!  :)

jacin theis

That looks super fun, but all i can think of is how much it would hurt when you went done on the ice. I bet you cant wear enough padding.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Fletch

we rode on the ice a lot when I was younger, it is very hard when you fall, but studs offer amazing traction (about the same as a gravel road).  for things at a higher level check this out:

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/MTqcAoLuTnc"
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Fletchfor things at a higher level check this out:

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/MTqcAoLuTnc"

The R1 was doing 160 mph! He must've had heated grips...   ;D

Hank

Those are both great videos.  I have a nearly overwhelming urge to stud up something now.

sam i am

If anybody is in the Rapid area and wanted to try out some ice riding, I have a front 21" and a rear 19" setup with studs that you could borrow.  I got the itch about a few year ago to try this ice thing out, so studded up some tires that I had laying around.  I enjoyed it for about 30 minutes, then got bored on the ice.  Reminded me of just riding around in a parking lot  ::).  Don't get me wrong, it's a great excuse to get out during the winter, but it didn't really get my blood pumping.

Lonesome Dave

Oh man, that looks fun.  Maybe a February rally?  They have ice racing in Custer State Park. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

I went to a BMW factory sponsored training 20 years ago on a local lake (the differences between traction control, snow tires, normal street tires), and decided to go back afterwards with my Isuzu Trooper.  After a good half-hour of crashing around the course, sliding, bumping, jumping over every berm, I went home.  I woke the next morning to find four flat tires on my trooper, and each alloy rim had been dented in some way.  Expensive half-hour.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.