News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

FNG from Arkansas

Started by Protondecay123, August 20, 2012, 10:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Protondecay123

It's only about 950 miles from my front door to Custer. I've only visited the Black Hills for The Rally. But really love them. I brought a couple of buddys of mine from Arkansas and they were suitably impressed as well.
I've recently Dual sported a WR450.  I've also got a Yamaha Super Tenere.
The Wife and I are headed to the Black Hills and will just miss the Activities at Deerfield by a couple of days unfortunately. Look forward to making one of the Dual Sport Rally's soon.

Hank

Welcome!    You've got some great riding down your way as well.  I took a street trip to the Ozarks last fall and LOVED it.

greatbuffalo

Welcome to the group. Would love to get down your way to do some riding in the future.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Protondecay123

We can ride almost year round down here and have some great places to ride. Usually in mid May we have a Dual Sport Rally called SLAP at White Rock Mountain in the Ozark National Forest. If you go to ADVrider > Regional Forums > Texas and the Gulf States > Ar- adv camping Thread and you can pick a monthly event if you can arrange your schedule that way. If you run GPS you can find a lot of tracks and routes at that forum and do your own thing.

jacin theis

My grandmother had retired to Fairfield Bay Ark., you guys have awesome weather and a lot of great terrain. How available are trails there? Is there a lot of public land left?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Protondecay123

Quote from: jacin theis on August 21, 2012, 09:31:16 PM
My grandmother had retired to Fairfield Bay Ark., you guys have awesome weather and a lot of great terrain. How available are trails there? Is there a lot of public land left?

Your grandmother is about the epicenter of the Ozark National Forest. We actually have more public land in total area and percentage than South Dakota. About  3,949,900 acres or  11.85 % of the state of Arkansas is public land. South Dakota has about 3,659,780 acres or about 7.53% of the State of South Dakota is public land.  The nice thing is that the public land in Arkansas is that it is mostly in the mountainous part of the state where the good riding is! The eastern part of Arkansas is flat, Mississippi River Delta farmland. It's got good duck hunting if your into that. I don't like the taste of duck myself.

Dr Psyko

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Protondecay123

Funny you mention that, but was a physics major in college at first.

Fletch

I can't contribute musch to a physics discussion, but if you want to ride while you are here let me know and I will try to make it.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Protondecay123

I'm coming up with the better half on my Super Tenere the week after the Dual Sport Rally. I think we are staying at the Blue Coyote or something like that. Will probably check out Deerfield Lake via some of the better maintained gravel roads.
  Not much on physics these days. I do remember that if I drink too much I will fall down.