News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

KLR operating temp

Started by Dustin, November 20, 2008, 12:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I was out riding a couple of days ago and notice the temp gauge hardly comes off the lower line. I suppose it was 25 degrees or so. Any one else have the same issue? I was thinking it's probably the thermastat stuck open. Or is it just that efficient at cooling? In the summer it warmed right up (less than 2 miles).

loingrader

first off, i wouldn't worry about it.  if you're really curious, start the bike and let it idle for 5 or 10 minutes.  watch the temp guage and see what it does. 

when it's really cold, my temp guage stays higher longer than it does in the summertime.  i'm guessing that the cold air on the engine cools the antifreeze enough that by the time it gets up to the thermostat it is so cool that it doesn't open it.  once it does open the thermostat, the temp rapidly drops off to just above the lower line.

on REALLY cold days you can watch as the thermostat opens, the coolant cools rapidly, the thermostat closes and etc.  the temp guage goes midway, down to 0, back to midway, etc.  it's a bit amusing.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

joedaddy

Hi Dustin, there's some pretty good stuff on the KLR thermostat on KLRworld.com also some write ups about the THERMOBOB, I'm not very mechanically inclined so not quite sure what to think about it but it did get some pretty good reviews.  I also have noticed that my 08 rides on the cold side all the time. ???

fringefan

The KLR is funky when it comes to temp. I have the patman mod which when the weather is cool runs just above the cold mark but you can feel the heat from the engine so you can know it is not that cold so I think Brett is spot on. Mine runs a little lean so it runs warmer than normal but I have never liked the fact it gets above the avg temp mark at any time, (think blown head gasket when hot=bad). I have heard good things about the thermo bob and actually Jeff Saline made one in addition to dual radiators. Not positive but I think he is a little more mechanically inclined than most. I don't think he is a member on the site but he does visit and you might be able to find him on klr650.net if you have any questions about it.

OOFDA

Hi Dustin - I recently bought a used 2008 KLR with 400 miles. The first thing I noticed was the engine operating temp didn't come up to mid gauge or normal. After some research I found the 08 and newer bikes have a redesigned and more efficient cooling system. This (improvement) didn't allow the engine to come up to operating temp. I installed the Thermo-Bob mod and the coolant temp now stays in the proper range. When going down the road you can see the temp gauge rise, the thermostat opens, and the temp drops, as it should.
The second thing I noticed was the proverbial OIL CONSUMPTION. If the bike is ridden at or above 5 grand for any length of time the beast will use oil. Not really a problem for me, course I am old and slow, because at 65 mph the engine turns 4200 rpm and oil usage is still evident but not as severe. After much hunkering and ciphering, and past experience with racing the magnificiant Yamaha 500. I removed the cc vent hose from the airbox, please don't tell Al Gore, and installed a K&N breather cap. Now it is vented to atmosphere. The hose has an ID of approx 1/2 inch but the fitting on the airbox is choked down to 1/4 inch. Make sure you plug this opening.  Now that I have the engine at proper temp and less cc press, life is good. If you want detailed pics send me an E mail.

loingrader

oofda, did that fix your oil consumption problem? 

on my ol' 92, even with hours of 80+ mph (stock gearing) and she never uses a drop.  i know that a lot of klr's are a little oil thirsty at high rpm's though. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

I have seen a decrease in oil consumption but haven't really put it to the test. Going on a 450 mile ride when the weather gets better. I will know then and get back to you. I understand the earlier 08 KLR's had a problem with an out of round cylinder. If I can't get the usage down I will bore it and put in a 685 Schnitz racing kit or just go oversize with an OEM piston and rings. Shouldn't be too expensive because I won't do any head work. Don't want to go too oversize and add more recipicating weight which would throw the balance off. How much is too much? Who knows??
If anyone out there has any input on this problem jump right in. I'm certainly not the knower of all and teller of little.

Caution: At 500 miles I removed the side cover and found the "doo" spring laying in the bottom of the engine. It still had one end hooked, thank goodness. I replaced the "doohickey" (balancer chain tensioner) with the upgraded type and used a shorter wound spring rather than the torsion type.

OOFDA

fringefan

You will have to check if the Schnitz racing still does the 685 since Cary passed away because he was their guru on that mod. Heard lots of good things about it though and would have considered it myself if I had not installed that spit fire spark plug and new air filter. Best way to add 20hp according to the package and it is amazing how little it pulls when you get on the gas compared to more expensive engine mods ;D

OOFDA

Hey - Thanks for the information. I'll take an increase of HP anyday as long as I don't have to make it noisey. Did you go with the same heat range split fire and a K&N dry type air filter?

OOFDA

hayduke.klr07

i installed a thermo bob last week.  it warms up way faster and does maintain temp more evenly.  it is supposed to help more in the winter due to it having a built in bypass.  the thermo stat in the unit i think is 195 vs 165??   what i read is it is all about not having temp spikes up or down.  apparently that is bad?  hell i just wanted to tweak on my bike.  it was pretty easy to install once you strip the bike down to where you can work on it.  i'm thinking i am also going to install a switch bypass for my fan so that i can turn it on at will for summer time operation.

OOFDA

I agree, the Thermo Bob mod on the newer bikes keeps the cooling water temp in a higher range. The engine not only runs better and should get better fuel mileage. I have noticed the engine oil staying cleaner because it is running about 20 degrees above water temp.
I see you also have the affliction of tinkering just to be tinkering. No know cure!
OOFDA