Took a little ride up to the Sandills of Nebraska last weekend

Started by Dratharr, October 26, 2008, 08:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dratharr

Hi All,
I took a little trip up to the Sandhill's of NE this weekend, I had a new chain and sproket to break in on the KLR

First stop was a little campsite on the north shores of Big Mac the largest lake in NE the trees are in full color! I broke out the Jet Boil and had a little Ramen Noodle for lunch with a Snickers for desert!

This is what a typical road looks like up in the sandhills, just keep your speed up an the weight off the front wheel, it is more like surfing than riding at times! I often wonder if riding in Baja, and Mexico would be a similar experience, not sure but I would really like to find out!

Next stop was somewhere north of Lisco NE I noticed these fellas Bison! Then I noticed the fence 8 strand barbed wire electrified! This could only be one mans ranch, Ted Turner I would hate to think how much he has wrapped up in fencing! A friend of mines dad saw buck antelope try to go under one of his fences, he said it shot the buck back about 10feet! There is a lot of voltage going through that barbed wire!

Check out this old tractor somebody takes a lot of pride in this old girl!

Then I came across this little town/hall, Rackett, I googled it and it turns out it was a meeting hall for a group called the Grangers. They were a farming organization that got people together back in the day. They had regular meetings here I think every two weeks, along with sunday dinners weddings, and socal gatherings. I mean this thing is in the middle of no where, I cant imagine what it would have been like to live in those times in such a rural area!

Well thats about it I just wanted an excuse to post something on here!

LittleJacket

Nice post!  I used to think that area was really ugly-mainly when its 100 degrees out-but have recently come to appreciate the beauty of it because it is really a unique landscape.  I had heard that they used to do a lot of Baja type racing in that area during the 70's until the big money got involved.  What did you think of the sand roads?  Brian-flexlarson and I rode on a sand road near torrington, wy last year.  That is some of the toughest and scariest riding I can remember.  I ended up having to air down to 12 psi or so and it helped. 
rpjohnso

Dratharr

Yes, the sand takes a bit of getting used to that is for shure; letting air out of your tires makes a huge diff. and just keeping the weight back and keeping the throttle on makes it go a lot smoother. I wouldnt say I always enjoy it but it makes for a good workout, and the practice is always good!

fringefan

Love that sand. Camping in Moab is great because not only is sand softer to sleep on but the sand gets everywhere and it kind of cleans your teeth when you eat.

Hank

Quote from: fringefan on October 28, 2008, 09:27:22 AM
Love that sand. Camping in Moab is great because not only is sand softer to sleep on but the sand gets everywhere and it kind of cleans your teeth when you eat.

LOL way to look at the bright side.   

Nice report Dratharr!

Dratharr

I agree with that one, I have not been to Moab since the late 80's on a mountian bike trip it was great,  I also really enjoyed your report on Moab, is that place awesome or what! You are right that sand migrates to places a person would not think possible!

Dratharr

Quote from: Hank on October 28, 2008, 09:37:36 AM

LOL way to look at the bright side.   

Nice report Dratharr!

Thanks!

The Yeti

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Jud