News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Harbor freight lift

Started by tannerc, December 23, 2014, 08:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

Quote from: Fletch on December 29, 2014, 02:17:10 PM
I will be looking for one of these and a manual tire machine if my contractor ever gets my house done... any advice on tire machines?

The tire changer from HF has gotten a lot of modification attention. People that use them with the mods seem to like them. 

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940911

A couple weeks ago it was all on sale and a guy could have had the whole HF setup with balancer for about $100.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

dufferv65

I too was looking for a tire changer or at least finding an easier way of changing them other then spooning the SOB's on and off.  After watching this video with a guy using the HF changer and mojolever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuH5BzAR4a4
I've came to the conclusion changing them by hand is not a walk-in the park. 

Bogus Jim

This looks like a pretty clever device for getting the last 3-4 inches of tire over the rim. That is usually the hardest part.

http://www.bajanopinch.com

It's kind of pricey though. Seems like you could rig one up with threaded rod and a cam.

I've never felt the need for a tire changer until I changed the rear on the Tiger. That rim's a 17 with a safety bead, it was a bugger to change by hand on the floor.

Fletch

that look pretty slick Jim.  I really just want the tire machine to hold the rim. seems I end up dirty from head to toe, mixed with sweat to make mud, every time I change a tire. but that tool looks like it would solve the problem? Or maybe I should just change tires on cooler days??  or maybe AC in the garage???   Hmm.. I may have to think about this some more.....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

sleddog

My brother has a No Mar for sale. Everything you see for $500. The balancer is missing the shaft & the machine is a hitch mount. PM for contact info.

tannerc

Quote from: Fletch on December 30, 2014, 11:54:02 AM
that look pretty slick Jim.  I really just want the tire machine to hold the rim. seems I end up dirty from head to toe, mixed with sweat to make mud, every time I change a tire. but that tool looks like it would solve the problem? Or maybe I should just change tires on cooler days??  or maybe AC in the garage???   Hmm.. I may have to think about this some more.....

For dirt bike tires that is all the HF machine is good for is holding the rim, which beats trying to bear hug the damn thing with one arm and trying to run two spoons with the other arm and one leg haha. It looks like getting the wheel locked down is the secret to easy tire change

Quote from: sleddog on December 30, 2014, 01:57:16 PM
My brother has a No Mar for sale. Everything you see for $500. The balancer is missing the shaft & the machine is a hitch mount. PM for contact info.

I see good reviews on those no-mar machines. They look to be a lot nicer setup then the HF machine. NIce balancer too

I think I may try the HF setup and see if it makes it easy enough not to pay the shop to do it. I had a tire put on at BH power sports last year, they hit me $60! (that was off the bike) 

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: tannerc on December 31, 2014, 08:36:16 AM

I think I may try the HF setup and see if it makes it easy enough not to pay the shop to do it. I had a tire put on at BH power sports last year, they hit me $60! (that was off the bike)

I just take my stuff to Gage (MX Connection).  Off the bike he charges 10 bucks, and on bike 15 bucks.  And, around 20 or so for Tubliss.  That's why I buy all my tires from him and just have him do it.  He always competes on tire prices.  Sometimes I have to tell him he's a little high.  But then we work it out.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

sleddog

QuoteI see good reviews on those no-mar machines. They look to be a lot nicer setup then the HF machine. NIce balancer too

I've had a modified HF & Mojo lever for 6-7 years. I use it to mount everything from Runflat car tires on Goldwings to DS tires. For myself & others. (I don't charge anything) It does what it's suppose to.....hold the rim in place. Same as the other machines. It's a 9/16" "Craftsman" (ok Acme!)  instead of a 9/16" "Snap-On"
I usually mount my own DS tires with levers though, on the ground. I want to stay in practice for when I need to do something out in the sticks.

Lonesome Dave

Well I have to admit, with all this talk about changing tires, I finally decided to do it.  And, its a new year so I thought I would start clean.
I've been collecting these tires from bikes gone past and current ones also (a lot miles in that pile).  The pile has been laying next to the barn getting larger every year, so this morning I loaded them up and got rid of them, 12 I think.  No, I don't want to add that up.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Figured since I had a bike on the lift, I should take it apart.

The '10 400 has been running a little smokey, so I'm going to put a Wossner piston and rings in it.  This series of KTM doesn't have the best oil ring design.  Some last many hours, some burn a bit of oil.

Cylinder looks good.

tannerc

HF has the lift table on sale this month. haha  2nd Cheapest I have seen it listed $295.76  or 1836.344 Yuan
I have the email I can forward if needed. The website still shows $430

greatbuffalo

I just saw an ad on ADV. A guy in Raleigh Durham has a new one that he wants 50 bucks to just get it out of his garage. I don't think, however, that it would make fiscal sense to make the drive to get it.  ;D ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

hmm.. I've never really done anything that made sense in the past????
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

He's got the tire changer to go with it, Mike............
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?