News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Hit a deer today

Started by Bogus Jim, June 29, 2014, 06:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Hit a deer this morning on Nemo Road. 6 am, going around the curve by Norris Peak about 45 mph. Saw the deer jump from the tall grass in the ditch out of the corner of my eye, so I had about a second to brace for impact. Rolled off the throttle, gripped the handlebars as hard as I could, gripped the tank with my knees to try and stay on the bike, raised my left knee a bit because it looked like she might hit my chest.

WHAM! The left Barkbuster hit her right in the head, my shin and knee hit her rib cage. Handlebars whip to the left, bike does one hard lurch to the left and then straightens out. Got back in my lane and stopped, a little shocked that I'm still upright. Looked at the bike for damage... the Barkbuster did not rotate, but is bent concave, the passenger grab rail has a little blood and fur on it, and is scratched down to the metal. Amazingly that is the only damage to the bike.

Looked back at the deer... she's either out cold or dead, I don't really care. Lots of mountain lions need to eat, here kitty kitty.

My wrist, thumb, knee, and shin are hurting a bit but nothing's broken. I'm glad I was wearing my mx boots; it was a hard hit to the lower leg. I feel very lucky to walk away from this one with no injuries. Other than that, it was a great day for riding.   :)

Wacked

That's an incredible "adventure" ride. Can't imagine what it would be like to glance off of 130lbs.

Glad to hear you are upright and OK

Wacked

Hank

Holy crap, I'm glad you're not hurt and the ride is intact!   Nothing like an unneeded and unplanned adrenaline rush to wake you up!

I clipped one when I was a kid once, about a half mile from my folk's house riding home at night.   I didn't go down either, but it was just a little guy.   Its head bounced off my shin and wiped the back turn signal off. 

Sportfaller

glad you are ok!! good gear makes a difference!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Fletch

Glad to hear you are OK, maybe a DDSR deer hunt is in order this fall?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Fletch on June 29, 2014, 09:05:44 PM
Glad to hear you are OK, maybe a DDSR deer hunt is in order this fall?

I'll pay for the ammo...

greatbuffalo

Wow Jim. So glad you were wearing your gear. Thats the way to live to ride another day. Shock the bike didn't sustain more damage. Was this your WR or the Triumph?

I've hit one deer in my van some time ago and a small one with my Xterra. I never want to connect with one on my bike.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

Deer in the hills are always a concern in the dawn and dusk times, especially on a bike.
Glad you and the bike came out ok.

You would think that if a deer saw a tiger it would go the other way, must have been a suicidal deer.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on June 30, 2014, 01:52:11 AM
Was this your WR or the Triumph?

I was on the Tiger. Funny what runs through your mind but my last thought before impact was "I wish this bike had a steering damper".   ;D

In hindsight, probably riding a bit too fast for early morning "deer season". Like Clay said they seem to be thicker at dusk and dawn.

Osnabrock

Yikes!
Glad you're ok Jim.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

grubbie

If that were me, the list of damages would have included soiled underwear............glad you are okay, could have been so much worse.