News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Indoor enduro in Rapid

Started by loingrader, December 17, 2008, 01:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fringefan

Myself, wife, and the three girls I am seeing. That would be sweet. You gonna bring the wife?

The Yeti

I'll see what I can do. Not sure how many tickets are available yet. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Wife's not coming, she's gotta work Friday night.

Brian, you need any extra tickets?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

flexlarson

Hey man I could use two . That would be nice.
Will you record the race Allen or take some pics for me?
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Hank

Hows the prep going Brian?  Get your clutch replaced and do you have yourself in navy seal shape?

The Yeti

Quote from: flexlarson on January 19, 2009, 11:58:33 PM
Hey man I could use two . That would be nice.
Will you record the race Allen or take some pics for me?

I'll be there with my camera!

flexlarson

Prep is good. Im in pretty decent shape. Down some weight . I put in a new clutch, waiting for some carb parts that will be here wed. I havent had time to really ride the bike as of yet. It will be interesting and fun. I hope to finish the race and represent well.

Whos all comin? I was thinking that after the race maybe having a gathering at my place.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.

Hank

Wish I could make it, it would be a blast!   How did your clutch installation go?

The Yeti

Got the tickets, 5 for Chad and 2 for Brian (may be more available, so if anyone else needs a couple, let me know). I'll drop the tics at Brian's.

QuoteI was thinking that after the race maybe having a gathering at my place.

Sounds like a plan! Thought maybe I'd come and hang out a bit before too, if that's cool with you.

fringefan

My oldest has to work so I will be down one but I am sure my brother might be interested unless you know some one that wants it? Looking forward to watching to it ;D

The Yeti

I got five tickets set aside for you, use them as you wish!

flexlarson

Thanks Allen.
Clutch install went very well. Easy actually.
I did have a huge dilemma with the carb.
I could not get it to idle well and it seemed a little doggy. I broke down and brought it to Rice Honda Suzuki in Rapid.
1. They said they would tune it and clean it out for 60.00.
2. They found that something was wrong with the float and replaced a part. Then put it back together called me and said "all ready"
3. I went to pick it up and it wouldn't even run. He then told me it's your throttle cable "has a kink and that's why it won't idle. I said hummm. Looked at it talked to one of the mechanics at the shop and he said "Oh that's not the problem. You need a needle and seat. I said fix it then.
4.They rush ordered the part . Cost me 20.00 shipping plus part. They put that in then called . "Bikes ready come get it".
5. I went to get the bike and fuel is leaking all over and it died when you gave it gas.
6. They said come back in an hour and well fix it. I came back again and same thing.
7. Oh come back in an hour well have a mechanic ride it. I talked directly to mechanic and he begrudgingly looked at it.
8. Back to shop and it still wouldn't run. I waited at shop as he worked on it. He ended up putting in a new seal and a bigger jet. The carb still leaks gas because they didn't have a bowl seal.
I have to say a majority, all but one mechanic does not have a clue. They basically tried to sell me everything that could be replaced on the carb. Let's just say 4 plus trips back and forth to the shop and 190.00 later it runs just slightly better than when I brought it in but now the float bowl leaks. I was very very disappointed in service. I will not bring a bike back to them for service and likely will not get any parts from them. I am obviously not the only one as I have talked to other guys who experienced similar problems.

On a positive note they all were nice. The store manager (a guy who I think may have had aspirations to be a dentist) used dental analogies a few times as he tried to explain how carb and repair work is done. (ASK CHAD... FUNNY STORY) . The mechanic did give me a free jet and didn't charge me for the extra work that he put in.  The last mechanic that worked on the bike was good and actually took it out and rode it. He seemed to care and understood that I wanted it fixed. The lil guy at the counter was nice but didn't have much knowledge of the bike.

I would recommend that the shop take bikes out and ride them before saying something is done and should develop a higher standard of work, maybe have a skilled mechanics check the work of those that are learning.

Lesson learned: Just do it myself. I thought they could have handled this quickly.

FYI A New carb on ebay is 60.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Carburetor-XR200-XR-200-Motorcycle-Carb-86-97-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35597QQihZ026QQitemZ390022903196QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The Yeti

QuoteThanks Allen.

No problem, Brrien!  ;)

Sorry about your bad experience with Rice. I've had quite a few over the years, but since their closest competition is in Spearfish (for Honda/Suzuki) and I don't know how far for KTM (Denver?), I have no choice if I want to ride the bikes I want to ride.

One time, I was there to pick up my Goldwing after some warranty work. It was close to closing time, and warm outside, so the shop guys decided to have a water balloon fight out front of the service doors...WHERE MY BIKE WAS PARKED! As I'm walking up from the car parking area, I see the guys throwing balloons at each other, and as I get closer, one HITS MY BIKE! No damge done, but I was PISSED and let them know how I felt.  I got an apology from the guys, but they didn't even offer to wipe my bike off....

Just last fall, when I took my KTM in to change tires, they forgot to put the axle pinch bolts back on my left front fork! I take it to 'em, explain the situation, they say, "oh, sorry 'bout that" and goes and finds two new bolts, then asks "you want me to put those in for ya?"....ummm, YEAH DUMBASS!  >:(

I like the guys at BH Powersports better, and, given a choice, will always go there first.

Hank

Wow, that is horseshit service.  Your pinch bolts too Allen. There's something about having your axles stay in that makes me happy when riding a MC.

flexlarson

Hi guys.

Well I did it but not on the XR.

Here is the rundown.
I went to practice in the am. Ran a few laps on the XR. It was bogging and having carb dilemmas. I took some nice spills but had a ton of fun. I did a huge endo on the railroad tracks. You should have seen it. I tried pulling the front up, bike bogged, I hit the track square and I ended up on my face.
While running in the 200 qualifying heat, I crashed coming off the rocks and something locked in the engine. It wouldn't kick over. At that time I thought I was done. Luckily I still ended up qualifying for the evening run. (Everyone did) Chad and I went home and took side covers off and adjusted decompression mechanism. We got it running. Now it began having problems staying in 1st gear under hard throttle. I did notice this during the race earlier but chalked it up to hitting something.
I went to race feeling rather bummed. While witting in stands I decided to go see if I could bum a bike. I came across this kid who said I could ride his YZ 125 in the 30 and over open. I put on his gear and headed to the start line with 2 minutes to spare.
Jumped on the bike blasted through logs, trees, rock pile and step-up with to much throttle and jumped through overshooting the turn (almost hitting people. As I headed up into the bleachers I slowly rolled throttle and I was surprised to find no power. I then revved up the bike and dumped the clutch and popped it up and over. I guess 2 strokes take a lil getting used to. Finally I get going and make my way around and over the tires, railroad tracks and mud pit , back through the logs and forest. I approach the rock pile take a line to the side of a guy and crash hard . The crash busted the clutch cover on the bike and bruised my ego. Oil pouring out of the side I sadly walked from the course. :(

I had so much fun and would love to try again.
Hats off to the guys that ran it. Its a tough lil deal. Makes me want to ride and practice on harder terrain this next year.

The Yeti

QuoteMakes me want to ride and practice on harder terrain this next year.

Oh crap!   :o

Video of Brian's run will be coming soon!!   ;D