News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Saturday parts run to Powersports

Started by Crazy Uncle Larry, January 31, 2009, 07:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Uncle Larry

Decided to go check out the parts guys at Powersports and see if they had a universal kickstand and a clutch lever to replace the ones on my 81 XT500. In the meantime, I'm using the Toyota 4Runner for a prop stand! Hey, I even got a bag to bungee to the rear rack! Starting to shape up like a real dual sport bike, right?, uhh right? I know some are thinking, Dude, that's just an old XT with a backpack on it. Where does the "dual" as in dualsport come in to play? Let's see...I do kick start aerobics to get it going and power-lifting to pick the dawg-gone thing up when it falls over while I'm trying to start it without a kickstand!!!! Sounds like dualsports to me!!!

Here's a shot of the broken kickstand.

Here's another look. If anyone knows of a good welder or sees one of these on Ebay that will fit a "81 XT500, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Son-of-a-gun!!! The ride out to Powersports was a humdinger with the cross-wind! I swear I was riding on the by-pass at a 60 degree lean!!! Did get a clutch lever but no luck on the kickstand. To top it off, I lost my balance trying to kickstart the bike and laid it right over in the parking lot!!! Gees McGees! Can't a guy catch a break!!! I popped my knees a good one and stretched the ole maximus gluteus again and slightly bent the brake lever this time! The next time I ride, I'm going to wear my Ace Hardware, double foam, knee pads no matter how goofy it looks!!! Bring on the protection!!!

Speaking of protection and staying healthy on the bike...guess what came in the mail today for the "lady of house"? Remember...I said she is a N U R S E. Right on the front cover of her "Nursing 2009"! I swear, a guy can't catch a break these days for love nor money. Goes without saying there were some comments exchanged before I headed out to Powersports to see Keith and the guys. And no, I didn't rush right home and tell her that I lost my balance trying to kick start the bike and laid it down in the Powersports parking lot!!! I'm not that big a dummy and I didn't hit my head falling off the hay wagon yesterday!!! Better to not spread any more light on the subject of bike riding accidents. I just reached for my bottle of ibuprofen and chucked down 4 of them bad boys. Can you say, "Ibuprofen is our friend"? Anyhow, it was good to get out of the house and ride.

Thanks again to those of you who may reply about knowing a welder or see a kickstand on Ebay and shoot me an email. This dualsport riding is contagious! I spoke to two others this week and encouraged them to go check out this site and get their bikes ready for the trails this summer. One just moved here from Colorado and rides a KLR 650. The other lives down by Custer and picked up an old Yamaha XT350 this past summer. He was going to ask me if I wanted to buy it off of him because he hadn't been able to get it going and no one in the Custer area had time to work on it. I told him to just pull the carb before he did anything else and give it to me. Told him I would take the carb down to Laramie next month when I go see "Number Two", we would clean it, bring it back and see if we can't get it going. I gave him a printed paper copy of the DDSR sticker and left him pretty pumped about the prospect of getting his old iron running in anticipation of riding some trails this summer. This "sickness" has even spread down to the Kansas City area!!! Got an email from Nephew JW today. He and his daddy went halves-ies on a 2007 (leftover stock) Artic Cat 700 4x4. They are also pumped about getting back up here this coming summer to ride some trails with me and "Number Two". I know it isn't a bike but at least they are willing to get out in the outdoors and ride with us and that is a tremendous stretch for them!!! Heck, I don't mind what they ride, just that they go!!! Besides with all that rack space on the 4-wheeler, guess who will be carrying all the gear?!!!! That's what I'm talking about!!! Heck, earlier in the week, "Number One" (my oldest son living up in Minnesota) let me know he is looking at a Polaris 400 2-stroke 4wheeler. Said if he got it I could license and store it out here so he would have something to ride when he visits the hills! So, if any of you happen to see a caravan of 2 bikes and 2-3 4wheelers rolling along over some of the trails this summer you'll know it's Crazy Uncle Larry, Number Two, Number One, and the ridge runners (Nephew JW and Randall Dean) from Missouri!!! Wave or stop and say "howdy".

Time to go get a bite to eat. Hope everyone had a great Saturday! And again, thanks to those of you who will keep an eye out for me and a kickstand for the ole XT!!!
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

Crazy Uncle Larry

I KNOW! I KNOW! I KNOW!

I forgot to enter the full and correct "secret squirrel" code in order to transfer my photos completely, my bad!!! Hope you can still get the gist of the story.

My humble apologies.

HEY!!! Guess What!!!

The "modify" button lets you "edit" your mistakes in a sent posting. How about that?!!

Yes, I am a big dummy!!! But what the heck, P.O.R. (Press On Regardless!!!), read the directions later (ain't that the way it's done?).

Number Two

I still can't believe you talked that guy into keeping his bike, when he was going to sell it to you for $100.  It'll be worth having another riding buddy though.

I've got your kickstand...

...as long as you've got some british pounds in your wallet:
http://www.xt500parts.com/eco_5.htm

Seems like the europeans are crazy about the XT, go figure.

You could go buy a welder, ... just sayin'. ;D

Number Two

Dude, it occurs to me that if you busted your kickstand starting your bike, that maybe it's time to get the book out and adjust those valves.

Cool that you got to go out and ride though.  I spent the day cleaning the garage and re-arranging furniture.  It wasn't all bad though.  I can now park inside the garage, and the tools are sorted so that I can work on the bike. woohoo!

Crazy Uncle Larry

:o :o :o

Who me, go buy a welder?!!

That thought crossed my mind this afternoon, too. Look how thin-walled the original stand is. I think a person could sleeve it, tack the old ends together, slip the sleeve up and weld the buh-geebers out of the sleeve!!! Might end up looking a little "frankenstein" but I bet it would do the job. So...any thoughts on the type of welder to look at??? I know, wire-feed for sure but what brand, etc. Just thinking, one never knows when one might come in handy!

Yeah, I thought about keeping my mouth shut for about a nano-second on the XT350, but then my upbringing got the better of me and I talked him into working on it so he could ride. He had a road bike before, so he has ridden in the past. But, if he still thinks it might need a new home after the carb is worked on, I'll see what happens.

Glad to hear your garage recovery efforts paid off!!! Nothing like parking in your own garage when the sky turns gray and the wind whips in down off of the Snowies and brings large amounts of the white stuff to fall on Laramie!!!

Keep your eye out for another kickstand, preferably one in the states, not Europe or England. Those guys are thumper fools for sure!
Have a good night; catch you later.

P.S. You did see where the "Modify" icon in the posting box handles "edit" duties, right? Just checking. Dad

hayduke.klr07

hey!  if you are ever in need of parts or work done on your bike I would fully recommend MX Connection.  You can find Gage located on west omaha just up the hill from the honda mower place.  Gage is a top rate mechanic.  he has worked on all of my buddies KLRs.  he can get nearly anything you need within a few days.  I buy all lubricants and air cleaner stuff from him as well as ordering parts to upgrade the klr.  The shop is geared for motor cross guys but hey...he is local and he is good. 

fringefan

Flex has a couple welders and I am sure would be willing to hepl you out. Just shoot him a PM. I have one as well that I bought from his grampa but I have yet to see it,  that might be why he has two.

loingrader

larry, i would recommend thinking about some bark busters on your handlebars to protect those levers.  they cost a little bit at first but not only do they save you the cost of buying levers all the time, they protect your hands when trees jump out, and the peace of mind knowing you can drop your bike all day long without hurting the levers is worth a lot in my book.  i hate being stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a broken clutch or brake lever.  plus, if you get a different bike someday, the bark busters will go on basically any model cycle. 

i've got these on my klr. 

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&navTitle=Control&webTypeId=191&webCatId=12&brandId=294&prodFamilyId=9547
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

I carried a block of wood around with me for the better part of a year before I finnally added 2 inches to my stand after I installed rising links. Never understand why I put myself through that for that long.

Adam12

Hey Number 2,
You know Crazy Uncle Larry better than that! Don't worry, if I give up on the XT350 it will be yours. After getting a pretty good motivational speech from you know who I have a feeling that we are going to be riding this thing. Any idea where to find carb boots? I ripped one when taking the carb out.

Crazy Uncle Larry

Adam12,

Number Two/Aaron was just pulling my leg about the 350! He knows how others would be when presented an opportunity like this. But, he also knows how I roll and fully understands it's great to get another guy on the trails!!! I will be going to see him this Friday. I will give you a call later today (it's past midnight now) to discuss picking up the carb from you. Looks like I will be down your way on Wednesday. Glad you made it here! Just keep the faith and with a little luck we'll get your thumper going again. May take a few hoses, boots, plug, and such but it can be done. Talk with you later today.

Crazy Uncle Larry

Loingrader,

I thought about a pair of bark busters about the same time I was losing my balance while trying to start the bike out at Powersports!!! You know how it is, takes a few times to get things right with an old bike, but I will get there. Not anywhere close to being able to upgrade to another bike at this time. Thanks for the link!

loingrader

Quote from: Crazy Uncle Larry on February 03, 2009, 01:09:08 AM
Not anywhere close to being able to upgrade to another bike at this time.

if your bike runs, there is no reason to upgrade.  i'm sure it works for the stuff you ride and it will work great on 100% of the stuff that we ride at the rally's too.  scrapes and dents just add to the patina of an older bike.  you wouldn't have near as much fun dropping a newer shiny bike.  it's no highway queen, but most of our bikes are severely lacking on the street (except for the amazing katooms). 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Crazy Uncle Larry

Loingrader,

Thanks for the comments on the bike. You're right, of course. Right what you've got as long as it runs! You should check our the new trip report from Number Two and I. The ole XT (along with Number Two's TT600) successfully completed the 111 mile Laramie Lap today!!! Are we crazy or what!

Then my wife says there no way we could make a run to Mexico on these two old antiques! Can you believe the negative vibes some people give off? Number Two/Aaron and I just looked at each other and started calculating how long a ride to the Gulf! You just never know where the old iron will turn up or who will be riding it.

We were just talking about how the Laramie Lap would have gone if I had been on a too tall XR650R. I'd probably still be out on the trail somewhere laying over on my side like some beached whale!!!

At this point, I'll just tidy up what I have. However, if the boys with the big check come by this weekend, I might still have to check out an XR for me and Number Two! Or better yet...we might go completely crazy and get us a whole herd of TW200's!!! That way, we'd always have something to help ease new folks into trail/adv/dual sport type of riding.

Got to get them barkbusters next payday, then go from there doing stuff to the XT. Catch you later.