News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

My Newest Aquisition - Gaerne Sg-10s

Started by The Yeti, January 31, 2009, 09:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Just got these new boots:

Man, are these things stiff! My first pair of "real" MX boots. What's the trick to shifting with these bad boys??

Went out for a bit of a ride today (3hrs or so, 99% pavement, too icy off-road) and had a helluva time getting used to shifting with the stiffness and thickness of these boots. Was like learning to ride the bike all over again.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Crazy Uncle Larry

I've got a pair of Moose boots and have the same issue with them trying to shift my XT500. I eventually moved the shifter a bit and that allowed me to get the boot in position better. I spoke with Keith out at Powersports. Will go back later in the Spring and see if we can't "hand-fit" a better/longer shifter on the XT. I'll let you know how that works out later.

The boots are awesome! Talk about foot protection and comfort! They have plenty of flex and the size 9's I wear are large enough to wear a heavy-weight sock and even slip in a Dr. Scholls foam foot-bed for more support.

Glad to hear you got out on the road!
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

Hank

Those are cool looking boots.   I've had one pair of true MX boots, and like Larry says, I had to move the shifter up so I could upshift and had to pretty much lift my foot and stomp to down shift.   They did break in some over time.

I wear AXO SR-4's now which are a trail riding boot.  They're not nearly as stiff in the ankle, but then they also don't offer near the protection.  Choose your poison.

fringefan

Not sure if it is needed but I know on the KLR,  some guys use lowering plates and a IMS shifter. Seen a guy on ebay selling the lowering plates for around $20.00.

Number Two

I have the SG10s as well.  They were really bad the first ride out.  They broke in a little bit as I continued to wear them.  I also moved the shifter up to make it easier.  I still have to occasionally do the lift/stomp routine to get down shifted, but I am very comfortable with how they shift now (maybe 15 hours in them), and I can up-shift with ease. 

I got the SG10s because I wanted the best protection for my feet, but I didn't want them to cost more than the bike.  For me, this meant that the boot had to have a hinged anke, which really limits you to these, a SIDIs, and something else I can't remember right now, but it also makes the boots pretty stiff.  It's really easy to put these boots on too tight with the cam latches.  Maker sure they're only as tight as they need to be. 

The Yeti

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I did mess with shifter position a bit while out on the above mentioned ride. I ended up two notches higher than I had it before. I do have to lift my foot to downshift, but I've always had to do that with just about every bike I've owned because of the length of my legs...with my knees so far forward, the ankle will just not flex up far enough to allow me to downshift with my feet still on the pegs.

Number Two: it's nice to hear that yours broke in pretty quickly, I'm hoping the same for mine! I wanted the same level of protection you were looking for, and the SG-10s seemed to provide all that at the lowest price I could find. I really like how sturdy and protective they seem to be, just hard getting used to riding in them. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after a few rides!  ;D

QuoteIt's really easy to put these boots on too tight with the cam latches.  Maker sure they're only as tight as they need to be. 

I did mess with the buckles quite a bit, had them so loose at one point that I could almost pull the boot off my foot! I tightened them until it felt like they wouldn't come flying off in a crash.

Also, I think I may have gotten one size too large. My last pair of boots were Gaerne's as well (Explorers), so I got the same size in the SG-10s (14). I think I may need a 13 instead because these feel bigger than my Explorers. I've ordered a pair of 13s to see if this is the case. If I end up keeping the 13s, I'll have a very lightly used pair of 14s for sale on ADVRider. If the 13s are too small, I'll just return 'em.

I think the thing that's gonna take the most getting used to is the lack of "feel" when shifting and using the rear brake...
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

flexlarson

I can relate to the loss of feel on the bike. I recall riding in hiking boots then switching to MX boots. I thought I would never get used to it. My old boots broke in quick and I got used to shifting in them. Unfortunately while waterproofing my old boots I left them in the oven a bit to long in an attempt to improve waterproofing. My plan was to  Heat up boot and rub on Knick wax.
1.Boot in oven .
2.Take  boot out of oven and rub wax into leather real good.
3. Got distracted after step 1  :-[
4. Humm................. I smell plastic.
5. Run for oven and open door ......grab dripping boot.
6. Run to sink to cool hand with melted plastic on it.
7. Sulk
8. Fix boot with shoe goo and caulk.
I melted them real good  ???I eventually fixed them after letting them sit in the garage for two weeks. I hid them from myself.  I forced myself to ride with them for a year . Kinda punishing myself for being so easily distracted.  ;D I  finally got tired of refilling holes with caulk so I ordered some new ones . My New boots are  very stiff. I will not put them in the oven. FYI ........dont put boots in hot oven dont put head in oven and dont put your  hands or live small animals in hot oven.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Hank

LOL good one flex.  Funny, funny stuff!

loingrader

Quote from: flexlarson on February 02, 2009, 08:29:41 PM
FYI ........dont put boots in hot oven dont put head in oven and dont put your  hands or live small animals in hot oven.

the last non-food thing i put in my oven was my toyota's rear ring gear when i installed my aussie locker.  that worked like a charm, but the house did smell like 90 weight for awhile. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro