News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fall get together idea

Started by fringefan, February 23, 2009, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fringefan

Had this thought today that we could incorporate into our fall rally and it would involve some type of trail appreciation or clean up throughout the Hills. Big job for just us but would be great if we could get the offroadrider group, the bmw club, Black Hills Mountain Bike Association, and even hikers for an end of the season clean-up. I think I could easily round up some sponsors to help cover the cost of t-shirts and some eco bags for the trash. Just an idea at this point but I did send some emails and plan to talk to the forest service tomorrow to see if it is even feasible.

I think it would be a great way to promote responsible trail usuage and puts what we love in a positive light with the forrest service. Interested in any thoughts.

Crazy Uncle Larry

Sounds like a good idea to me.

If it just ends up being DDSR, what would you consider the most prime areas to select from for clean-up? Where would we get the biggest bang for our buck (clean-up wise) with the Forest Service?

It only makes sense that we give back in some way if we expect to continue using the Hills trails and if we expect to get cooperation from the Forest Service in the event of future talks about further trail usage.
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

loingrader

yea, sounds like a good idea to me Chad.  keep us posted.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

I spoke to Jermy Rogers with the Forrest Service abnd they are on board and will help arrange trash pick up and will help organize sites they know need cleaned. They still have to pay for the trash disposal so I might see about trying to work that out.

Funny when I talked to a lady at the front desk she was all about trying to bust me for something like not getting a permit. I picked up a new map from the forrest service and there is still plenty of trails to ride but the new one they will make will cost $10.00. Looks like most of the stuff they are shutting down are the off shoots from the exsisting trails that dead end. ;D

Number Two

Hank

I think it would be a good plan too.   Anything we can do to shed positive light on our favorite sport.

Dustin

Great idea!

I'd love to but I will have a new baby to help with in September.

hayduke.klr07

sorry i only pick up garbage on the forest if i'm on the clock.  joking!   I'm in too.  (as long as it isn't on the 12th or 13th of sept.)  there are a ton of places that need to be cleaned.  what's funny is that they are mostly the shooting areas.  maybe we could ride and shoot too.  one suggestion that i got was government fields or there is also a party spot across the road.  (government fields is between keystone and hayward)
also berretta road or the victoria areas always need to be cleaned up.
there is not a lack of garbage out there to picked up.

fringefan

He mentioned the jeep club cleaned up berretta rd once and picked up thousands of shot gun shells. I know it is closer but M Hill needs to be cleaned. If any of you are part of another group and can help get them involved or know a person to contact shoot me a PM and I will work it out.
It would be nice if a certain group could focus on a specific area in the Hills.