21 Feb 09, Saturday Recon to Black Fox Campground

Started by Crazy Uncle Larry, February 23, 2009, 11:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Uncle Larry

Had a chance to be out and about (O&A) in the 4Runner this past Saturday. Thought I'd make a little run from Hill City, up to Mystic, gave the Castle Creek Road a quick look-see, rolled on up to Rochford, and then headed west out to Black Fox campground to check on the snow level out there! Nothing like doing an early season recon of the area for upcoming rides. Got up into the alpine valley west of Rochford and quickly found out there was lots more snow up there!

This was as far as I thought I should go. Stopped and took a photo, then walked to the top of a rise so I could check out the road to the west. Yeah buddy!!! It was a nice day for sure!

Why am I chuckling? Because I've just looked over the rise and know that I have to back my 4Runner up about 100 yards before I can reach a spot to turn around at. Plus, I get to do this exercise with my wife sitting in the cab. Should make for some interesting comentary. Maybe I'll ask her to back it up.......On second thought, do I really want to upset the domestic tranquility that we presently enjoy??? Nawww, don't think so! Man! The UV rays were definitely bearing down out here!!! Should of had a hat on or some sun block.

Here's what the road looked like on to the west. I'm still about 2-3 miles from the Black Fox campground area. To the rear, march!

Headed on back to Rochford, then went north towards Deadwood. Turned left at 85 and headed for Spearfish Canyon. Had a nice drive there then stopped in Spearfish for a bite to eat before winding up the day back at home. We definitely do have a lot more snow out there than in years past. Adam 12 was also out and about on Saturday. He also made a run up by the Canyon, Cheyenne Crossing on over to O'Neil Pass and told me he saw evidence of the same thing, lots of snow out there to melt before the backroad trails are clear to ride. Talked to one other group of outdoor lovers who went over to the Deerfield area to check on some campsites for future use. They said pretty much the same thing for that area, more snow than they had seen in a while. Here's hoping for a slow melt in March and April so things are open the first of May!
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto