News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

BH Ghost Towns & Ghost Mines

Started by Lonesome Dave, November 30, 2014, 08:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

I love this kinda stuff. Would love to see more, never been to the china walls or whatever its called.  Maybe I'm not remembering it right, but that miners hotel seems pretty high above the creek bed for a flume???

greatbuffalo

So Jim, do you now own that stock certificate? Very cool.

We really need to get together and put together some "history tours". It seems like there is a lot of folks that like that sort of stuff. I have thought about it several times but haven't felt there would be much interest in history lesson on a DS ride. Maybe there is.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on December 08, 2014, 07:25:05 PM
So Jim, do you now own that stock certificate?

No I don't. It would be kind of cool to frame and hang it on the wall though.

This site has a few for sale.
http://www.oldwesthistorystore.com/southdakota_page.htm

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on December 03, 2014, 10:13:13 PM
I didn't stop asking questions, so the next topic is the Chinese Walls, China Walls, White Walls near Galena.  And......they are NOT the Chinese Walls after all......to be continued!

As I said a few days ago, I asked Dean Bottorff about the Chinese Walls near Galena / Butcher Glutch.  First, these are known to locals as "Chinese Walls, China Walls, White Walls, Hercules Walls (named for a mine nearby).  Dean referred to the following information as "a small historical point"; "the walls north of Galena were actually built by German masons and they were to be part of the mill that was never built.  The actual mine pit is across Butcher Gulch near the top of the hill. The plan was to have an aerial tram transport the ore over the gulch to the top of the mill where it would move through process via gravity.  The walls are expertly done by highly skilled craftsmen who definitely were not slaves.   The story is that the vein, which appeared to very rich, ran out before the mill was built. Just over the hill to the west is the Gilt Edge mine which was very rich and was in production until the 1970s."

Also, "If you want to see Chinese walls, go nouth along the old railroad right-of-way along Whitewood Creek toward the ghost town of Tunnel.   The walls are about a mile north of US14 on the East side of Whitewood Creek -- you need waders to get to them.  They were built by a group of Chinese miners who bought a claim that the seller thought was used up.  In fact, the claim turned out to be productive and the Chinese miners did well, having made enough money to return to China where they lived very well and got to be
buried with their ancestors."  He also said, (and favorite part) "The trail that goes by those walls is not on USFS land so those idiots have not been able to close it.  Generally whenever a trail goes by a notable historic site, the forest service closes it to 'protect resources' ".   Dean has many stories of why he feels so strongly about the FS.

Anyway, that's about it.......except if you start looking into the ghost town of Tunnel.

Tunnel was the site of the Loomis tunnel, nearly 1,000 feet long, which was dug in 1890 so the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad could come from Whitewood southwest to Deadwood. The Whitewood end of the tunnel apparently debouched upon whatever town there was in the area; all that remains is an old log house, a siding, and some railroad equipment. At the Deadwood end of the tunnel, down in the valley where the limestone cliffs come down to the creek, is reputedly Barker's Cave, a place of refuge where an early prospector used to hole up, behind a rough-hewn log door, to defend himself against Indian attacks. Old-timers stoutly aver that spatters of lead from Indian bullets can still be seen on the rocks around the mouth of the cave entrance. (From Black Hills Ghost Towns, authors Watson Parker & Hugh Lambert)

Hmmmm....that's a place I'd like to see!  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

I have been to the South end of the tunnel, but didn't find a cave? I will have to look again...
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Stevsie

This is all my stomping grounds. I stumbled across the walls just this summer when riding from two bit road over to the upper Camp 5 area. Really cool stuff!

And the tunnel we used to go mess around in in high school (I know I know..its was only five years ago). Now its gated off and the guy that lives on the whitewood end took a chain saw and destroyed some of the support beams inside. The cave is on the right about 100 or so yards before the tunnel  and down the trail a little ways. Easily accessible.

Now. If you followed whitewood creek down about 2 miles or so there is a HUGE cave. Like you could drive into it if you could get there with wheels. It goes back about 100 yards or so and has a 50ft roof. Along the way to the cave you find SO MUCH COOL STUFF! There are super old sluths, machine buckets that are at least 1 inch thick and probably weigh as much a a small truck. Tons of cool stuff. There is an area where the river flows between house sized boulders that is my favorite spot. Its one hell of a hike though. Only thing that's sad is how much garbage is down in there now. Tons of it :(

Lonesome Dave

Dale sent me a couple of photos of Barker tonight.  Apparently the old hermit that lived in the cave.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

I was actually in that tunnel and have a few pics somewhere to show for it. Last time I was there they had made it more difficult to get in.

I haven't really done alot of exploring in that area though so I have no idea where the cave is. Looks very interesting.

Here's something I just happen to think of. Up until I met up all of you yayhoo's I spent a week or so, twice a year out in the hills just exploring. Now I go out there twice a year to ride. Need to get back to exploring a little more. I guess I could just move out there.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?