Main Menu

What is Honda Thinking?

Started by hayduke.klr07, April 13, 2009, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayduke.klr07

I can't buy one of these

but i could buy one of these

or one of these....

Am I off base here or has Honda lost it?

loingrader

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

I believe he's refering to the fact that Honda, in their infinite wisdom, STILL won't bring the Trans Alp to the US.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

I agree Honda has lost it.   Although..I'm sure they're smart enough to market what sells.    I would think the transalp would sell in fair numbers though.   Lets face it.. as dual sporters.. we are a minority.   Scooters and chrome, as stupid as they are, are popular.

loingrader

i didn't get it because at work there were no pictures.  it makes a bit more sense when viewing from home with the pictures available.

yea, as much as it sucks, since not many of us americans ride, and a lot bigger majority of the rest of the worlds population does, they get lots of cool bikes that we never see in the states.

supply and demand.  if there is no demand, there will be no supply.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dustin

hayduke.klr07

fringefan

Looks like a death trap to me but have to love that little back rest.

Hank

I think that is the DN-01?   Automatic tranny, aimed at new / entry level riders, but it costs like $17K???   
I think Honda is confused by it too.

Dustin

Quote from: Hank on April 15, 2009, 08:07:38 PM
I think that is the DN-01?   Automatic tranny, aimed at new / entry level riders, but it costs like $17K???   
I think Honda is confused by it too.

Automatic... really? If someone can't figure out how to shift a manual they should really rethink the whole motorcycle thing.

loingrader

they are trying to lure some of the scooter fans over to a crossover scooter/motorcycle.

not the first automatic "motorcycle" though, and i'm sure not the last.  check out the aprilia mana. 

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0801_aprilia_mana/index.html

Number Two

I always thought of Honda as purely an engine company.  Everything else around the engine is just to help sell a product.  I'm sure they spend millions on market research, and there's a good chance that it was money well spent.  I't'd be funny if it wasn't true.  I bet they sell more of those two machines than they ever sold of the XR650R. 

fringefan

More than the xr650 ??? are you crazy.

That bike has barely changed in almost 2 decades and is still a sweet rig.

Number Two

Quote from: fringefan on April 17, 2009, 06:57:52 PM
More than the xr650 ??? are you crazy.

That bike has barely changed in almost 2 decades and is still a sweet rig.

Well yes, I probably am crazy, but no, not exactly.

The XR650R was only made from 2000-2007, was designed as the baja 1000 machine, but died a painful death on the showroom floor.  ...so bad that you can still find 2007 hold-overs.  The 650R got replaced by the 450X in baja.  I never understood why they didn't sell, but I guess it's probably because I didn't buy one either

Number Two

What is crazy is that Honda cut their F1 racing program because of the economy. 

As a side note, it only costs about $30,000 + the test bike [which must be demolished] to get DOT and EPA certification.  Once you have the EO number, you can sell that entire model year without re-cert.  Seems like it wouldn't take too many bike sales to make it worth it.  I think the Transalp could put some kind of dent in KLR and Vstrom sales.