News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

If you were going to buy a street bike....

Started by plumber mike, June 14, 2010, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

that could do 2 up.....cruise 80 on the slab comfortably....and do dirt roads.

What would you get and why ?

Number Two

I would lean toward the dirt road side with the KTM 950 Adventure I guess.  Seems like it'd have the legs for the highway, and still ride like a dirt bike when necessary.  ...and I just like them.

On ADV there was a couple that did the TAT 2-up. 

The Yeti

#1. KTM 950/990 Adventure <---gets my vote cause I had one and it rocked!
#2 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Is there really any other serious competition?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

If you are talking dirt roads but nothing more serious than that for offroad, I'd probably get a V-strom 1000.

Being another former 950 ADV owner, I'd have to pass on that for two up riding.   It was OK for two up but my wife didn't like it nearly as well as the other bikes I've had.    Awesome bike for sure but I think you can do better for the money in terms of 2-up and reliability.

The Yeti

I guess Mike needs to define "dirt roads" for us.  ;D

loingrader

if by dirt you just mean to get from your house to the pavement, i'd get a blackbird!!!   ;D

if you mean a little more dirt than that, i'd go for a vstrom 1000.  those katooms are awesome bikes, but you'd save a bunch of coin on a vstrom.  ditto the bmw.  plus if you have 2 beemers you are going to become "that guy."  you will save money on the purchase price as well as maintenance. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Oh yeah, I guess I kinda blocked out how the maintenance can be a nightmare with the KTM   8) Go VStrom if you need to save some coin...if money is no object - GS! I know of at least one VStrom that made it over Pilot Knob.   :evil

excess

Ductati multistrada 1100ds. Decent price with the new 1200s on the market and an absolute thrill to ride. With the right tires it will handle gravel and hardpack just fine

plumber mike

Your all a bunch of dual sport wet brains!  So am I, except for the Ducati and the Blackbird ( I'll google em)

My street bike expierience....I rode a buddy's crotch rocket in high school (750 I recall), another buddies Hardley during Rally once, and I had a couple Jawa 250's for paper delivery duties. And the Xcountry that I currently have which will stay. The rest is dirt.

Maybe a little about what I don't want....
I don't want it to be too good in the dirt because I'd just take it too far.
I don't wan't anything too nice or exotic because chances are good I'll take it too far.
It needs to be reliable(relative) because I'd hope to take it too far.
I'd like it to be good for 2up, but 95% of the time it would just be me.
I'm open to anything between a 950SE and a Goldwing.
I like the Yamaha FJR and Honda ST1300 for the looks alone ,but have never ridden anything like it.

I test rode an f800 and It didn't have enough wind protection...but cruising at 80 wasn't a problem. The GS1200 was lighter than I expected(maybe reading about how heavy it is adds 100 pounds in my mind) But as Brett said, I don't want to be that guy. Even though that dealer is the closest. So I just don't know........................................... ???

Hank

Well I'd probably vote for the Blackbird too if there wasn't too much gravel :)

The Yeti

Quote from: plumber mike on June 15, 2010, 06:45:19 PM
I like the Yamaha FJR and Honda ST1300 for the looks alone ,but have never ridden anything like it.

Kawasaki C14...google it...'nuff said.   8)  Won't ride anything rougher than gravel, though.

If you wanna stay mostly in the dirt, and give up the "2-up" thing, the WR250R is just what you described.  ;D

loingrader

i had a 2005 fjr and they are VERY nice bikes.  honda st1100's and st1300's are also very nice bikes.  on the spectrum from sport to touring i would rate:

blackbird - fjr - connie (new or old model) - st1100/1300 - goldwing

you couldn't do wrong with any of these bikes.  an old kawasaki concours would be a cheap no risk way to see if you like sport touring.  they are the klr of the sport touring world.  not the prettiest, but works very well and you can't find too many people that will say anything bad about them.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1774529374.html
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Yeah, that's how I'd rate 'em too, the Connie seems to be the perfect balance of sport & touring. The GL1800s can be ridden at a surprisingly spirited pace as well, had to replace my footpegs from too much scraping.  :evil

Although the old Connie just doesn't hold a candle to the C14 in terms of torque or speed, they are very reliable and can be had relatively cheap these days. My C14 had a blast furnace effect on the right leg, but they may have fixed that by now. I got rid of mine solely because I thought I might just kill myself if I didn't.  :o

Another GL1800 is in my future, just not my immediate future.

Hank

Local Suzy shop has a decent Connie for $2K.  It has some miles on it (50K maybe) but that aint much for one of those.

And in the spectrum of sport to touring, I'd place the Busa, Bird, and ZX-14 as about the same.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on June 16, 2010, 10:31:53 AM
I'd place the Busa, Bird, and ZX-14 as about the same.

i hate to be roped into the same category as a busa rider, and we refined types know that the xx is clearly superior of the 3 in terms of comfort and buttery smoothness.

but yea, they are pretty similar bikes.  :-\