Barn Bike Enduro August 20th (This saturday)

Started by Lee Bruns, August 17, 2011, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Bruns

Well, if you remember the Barn Bike Enduro from last year, come on over for it again this year. New challenges, AND this year we have a class for bikes newer than 25 years old. About a 125 mile day of riding, and challenges. Hit GLMC.org for more information. Or just be in my driveway in Watertown at 10AM this saturday

Lee Bruns

Well, we started out in the AM with 5 bikes. Neil Smith on his Airhead R75/6 BMW, Dave Weber on his SL350 HOnda, Jeff Kerkow on his XL350 Honda, Jayd on his GL1200 GOldwing and John Rehnstrom on his TW200. Jayd brought me a bottle of Boylans root beer and one of Boylans Birch beer that I was highly appreciated! I drank them both at the lunch break. Johns '95 TW200 was the ONLY late-model bike to show up. In spite of all the talk last year of "I'd come if there were a class for newer bikes".
At the trials section, Dave was doing GREAT till he got snagged on a railroad tie and dropped the bike. John took first place and Dave was still able to pull off a second place. Neil and Jayd took the 'zero'. Jeff made a great effort and got third place.
Then 36 miles of road section to the GLMC Trail area. Dave won that leg followed by Jayd, Neil, Jeff and JOhn.
At the trail area the riders were provided with supplies and ingredients to make Pizza. I attempted to make one and cook it on the intake manifold of the truck. Once all riders had their pizzas strapped onto their engines to cook we headed on a 30 minute timed road section to Bob Johnsons farm for judging. As they rolled into the driveway Dave made a pass on the inside to cross side, by side, with Jayd. Followed by Neil, then Jeff, then John.
None of the pizzas were cooked completely, so I judged them based on how much cooked food was in there. Jayd took first place, Dave second, Neil third and John fourth. We then put the pizzas on the grill to finish cooking them for our lunch. My pizza was the least cooked, but since I got there first and put it on the grill it was the first eaten.
Bob then led us over to his meadow for the barrel racing. Jayd cranked up the Nirvana on the Wings stereo and made the slowest pass of the day of 44.00 seconds. Daves first pass was 36.81 seconds. The riders were not told what their times were. They they were given the option of taking a second pass. Neil Smith stuck with his first pass. The other four lined up. Jayd got his time down to 37.43 seconds, Dave got his down to 31.78 but Jeff Kerkow was RIGHT behind Dave with a time of 31.84. No one was interested in taking a third try at it. in the end, Dave won the barrel race, Jeff took second, John third (best lap of 36.22)then Jayd then Neil with his 41.81 second lap.
Then off for another road section back to the trail area. Everyone but John got lost. I even tried to put a warning in the directions "Tricky corner" to help riders where a street turns into an Avenue. But it didn't work. Eventually three of the other four found their way to the trail area. Jeff ran out of fuel and had to have Jayd run fuel over to him.
Meanwhile John, Neil and Dave participated in the Biathlon. After each lap of the MX course they jumped off of their bikes, grabbed a .22 rifle and tried to hit a target. Dave was turning fastest lap times but his shooting wasn't as good. Neil was the slowest on the track but his shooting was perfect. Three for three shots. In the end Dave was fastest to hit the target three times, Neil second, and John third. Jayd chose to not take his GL1200 on the motocross track. Jeff was enjoying the countryside and meeting the nice local folks.
Then off to Dempseys for the final challenge. The last road leg Neil Smith got there early and took a penalty. jayd took first for that leg, followed by Jeff, then Dave, then John, then Neil.
For the final challenge riders had to remove a spark plug, present it to the judges, reinstall it, and fire up the bike. Neil had his plug out and back very very quickly on his Airhead BMW. John got done second, then Dave, then Jayd then Jeff.
When the final points total was tallied Dave won first place in the vintage class with 36 points, Jayd took second with 27 points, Neil took third with 23 points, then Jeff with 18 points. John was the ONLY rider in his class but scored 29 points when placed with the other riders.
Crappy recycled trophies were presented, Rootbeer was consumed, Chislic was eaten and everyone had a good time.

Hank

Sounds like you had a great time!
I need to scrounge up an old bike and participate in that one year!

Lee Bruns

Nope, I doubt we'll be holding that event anymore.
Three years of holding it and still only 5 participants.
We've thrown enough money down that hole.