News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

XR,DR and KTM Hit Farmingdale..

Started by flexlarson, December 03, 2008, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flexlarson

Farmingdale......What a treasure. I wish I would have known about this place months ago. Great fun just a few miles from rapid city. A nice place to practice riding up and down steep hills. It really reminds me of the Grand Junction Colorado bookcliffs riding area. Once it dries up and gets warmer Ill be back to explore even more.
Word of advise .............Cary a spare tube .I flatted in the rear and pulled the valve stem out. No way to fix it so Kim and I had to ride out 2 up on the lil XR. Its not made for two up. Ill tell you that.  :o
Going to fetch your motorcycle in the middle of the night with a jeep and trailer isnt much fun. Just ask Chad.  :cheers  thanks for the help

Allen thanks for letting me use the GPS..We would not have found my bike without it.

Link to Allens PICS:
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/Promo_Yeti/Farmingdale%2011-27-08/

Link to My Pics: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v368/flexlarson/Farmingdale%20Black%20Hills/
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Hank

That looks really fun.  So how big of riding area is it and how far from Rapid?   How many Honey Berry Backwoods cigars were turned into ash?

The Yeti

I'd like to say I had a good time, but it was short-lived.  :P  With me getting stuck in the mud about every 10 minutes, and then the drama with the front fender....would love to go back when it's a bit drier!  ;)  Although, I need to get some more mud riding practice in, really need to learn to keep the speed up, otherwise you just get yer ass stuck! I think I'd rather go out sliding than have to dig out of every damn mud hole. BUT, before I ever go back to a wet Farmingdale, I WILL need the high fender (still trying to scrape up the finances, xmas and all, y'know...).

Hank,

It's about 15-20 minutes from Rapid City on Hwy 44 SE, and the area is HUGE. Tons of trails to explore, but I must say, they were mostly intended for smaller bikes than the Katooms.  :D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Jud

Can't imagine riding in there when it's wet. It gets really slimy.

loingrader

found the farmingdale/folsom/160th ave south of rapid on highway 44 (on googlemaps).  how far south of 44 is the riding area?  may hit this on the way out from platte since we will be riding out on hwy 44 anyway.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

It's only a mile or two south of 44 on Folsom, not far at all.  Then, if you want gravel over pavement, you can take Spring Creek/Lower Spring Creek Rd. to Rapid.

loingrader

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

JoniJo

....looks like a neat area.
Will this be on our itinerary?
See ya'll Thursday at FNF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

greatbuffalo

Been out there in my 4X4 but never on a bike, your right in saying it'd be better on a smaller bike. Not the place for my Tiger unless its super dry.
When I was there in my 4X4 we helped a guy dig out of a mud hole where he had been since the day before. He was out to hunt for agates. All he got was a stuck toyota and 500 pounds of mud.

Next year I hope to have a smaller machine to ride some of these other places.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

Quote from: JoniJo on June 13, 2011, 12:27:18 AM
....looks like a neat area.
Will this be on our itinerary?
See ya'll Thursday at FNF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Joni

It's about an hour and a half ride from the FnF on pavement.  If you made a day out of it, you could ride dirt/gravel most of the way there and back.