News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

I CANNOT afford to get hurt. I don't own a Medjet :D

I'm working on Snooker. He still want's the luxury of my new pickup. It's sooo comforting to have 6 cylinders,6 gears and 6 wheels everywhere we go 8).....but that's not adventure. I will give my wife a lesson in piloting it should an emergency arise. It's a basic duty of a stay at home mom ;D

I think that if we could hook up in or around Laramie earlyish(7-8?) that would be a great hook-up spot, which should make for a good day of backroads to get to Moab.

Still exicted ;D

jacin theis

Mike, thats good with me, its great to meet new people who ride. How about Snooker and NumberTwo?  Sportfaller? Any objections to outsider? Sportfaller, do we need to start picking on you to make a decision? We can push pretty hard you know. ;)    Also wanted make sure you three/four are ok with NOT making campground reservations. I think we should be able to drop in pretty much anywhere and get in with this size group. It also leave us able to camp anywhere we might end up. no schedules?  Cowboy camping in the desert if we like. Waking up under the stars, with no one around, next to your motorcycle. If you want me to reseve something let me know.  
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

jacin theis

I DO have Medjet, got it for the whole family when we went to Canada last year.Its really affordabel if anyone hasn't checked it out. That being said, NO HELICOPTORS. i cant afford to miss work either. plus i want to do a really big trip next year, and if i screw this up, my wife will be less inclined to accomodate. everybody now Moab, Moab, Moab, Moab, Moab, Moab, Moab, Moab, you get the idea.
1100 GS

plumber mike

Quote from: jacin theis on April 17, 2011, 06:37:56 PM
  if i screw this up, my wife will be less inclined to accomodate.

Quoted for truth ::)

Number Two

No objections. 

I'm reading this as we are hauling camping gear on the bikes during the day, yes?.  Let me know - I'd need to get my subframe welded after a particular get-off I had last summer

Also, I must trailer down because my work schedule is forcing me to drive at night.  It will be some kind of trick to catch up with you guys after you're already in Moab, as I'll get there late Friday night.  Hopefully you can get a text out, or smoke signals or something.

Starting to get excited for this trip.  It'll be awesome!

jacin theis

i now this these are Jeeps, but this is today in Moab. Some really great scenery!  cant wait to ride the trails.  http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAwqtD6HdXlA&h=16c43
1100 GS

snooker

'sup boyz?  a pic from last years' White Rim Trail day - can't wait!

gerry1eye

Guys, son David and I are working out final details - ordering rock riding gear. We will have the motorhome and will bring extra water for showers. There is a BLM camp spot north and east of Moab on hwy 128 along/next to the Colorado river that I would like to stay at. Should be room for all to camp, if we can score the spot. Phone number to hook up when you guys get to town 701-223-3682.
3" of fresh snow today has got me ready for a road trip, so looking forward to Moab warm weather.

Check out this moab trail;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTVFsmawOo
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

The Yeti

Quote from: gerry1eye on April 19, 2011, 07:51:13 PM

Those guys are outa shape! 5 miles of hell....phshhh, 5 miles to Starbucks!!  I could take that on the GS, fully loaded, bare naked!!   ;D ;D ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Dr Psyko

I haven't followed this post for awhile; when are you guys going?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

jacin theis

DrPsycko,    Mike and i are planning to leave May 11 to ride to approximatly Larimie. We are planning on Snooker meeting us the morning of the 12th to ride to Moab. Hopefully Sportfaller decides to come and can ride with us. Number Two will be coming in Thursday night or Friday early am, i think. We will get to meet up with Gerry and David as they will already be in Moab for the week. Can you make it?  Joni? Hank? Anyone? we might let you join us last minute. ;)
1100 GS

Hank

Sounds damn fun but I won't be able to make it!

snooker

Quote from: gerry1eye on April 19, 2011, 07:51:13 PM

Guys, son David and I are working out final details - ordering rock riding gear. We will have the motorhome and will bring extra water for showers. There is a BLM camp spot north and east of Moab on hwy 128 along/next to the Colorado river that I would like to stay at. Should be room for all to camp, if we can score the spot. Phone number to hook up when you guys get to town 701-223-3682.
3" of fresh snow today has got me ready for a road trip, so looking forward to Moab warm weather.

Gerry...   (you're the Brad Lackey fan right? and quick with an earplug to fix a hole in a motor case, right? brilliant BTW...)   I remember meeting you - the same night I met Malcolm Smith !  So you are GOOD LUCK in my book!  So about camping on 128 just curious if you picked a campground - I don't know that area anymore but I know there are a lot of designated campgrounds there, right on the road.  See:  http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/highway_128.html.    Downside is that they are right on the road (car noise but not busy at night prolly) and IF the mosquitoes are recently hatched sometimes it is bad.  But I think the pluses outweigh it so I like it!  (Bring our own firewood or buy it in town).    My very first time to Moab we camped along there but it was wide open back then and we just rode our unlicensed dirt bikes to town and had a shower via a garden hose outside the Texaco station as there were no places that sold showers like they have now!  We used to call it the Moosehead Enduro ride as everybody brought a case of Moosehead.  Some of the macho cowboys in the group used to toss up their empties over the Colorado and shoot at 'em with their Smith & Wesson's.  (notice I said "at" 'em because nobody ever hit one in the air)... Green was "in" back then too (green glass IN the bottom of the river, that is)...  don't misunderstand me - I hate broken glass! and I protested a bit...   We rode the original Slickrock Bike Trail when Bike meant a motorbike and mountain bikes had not yet been invented... Ok it's been awhile....  (plumber mike was in 3rd grade I figure  :D    That trail always scared the crap out of me in places.  But I digress...

So I already sound like a frickin' mister thinks-he-knows-it-all and you guys are getting a bad impression of me (oops), but at the risk of pushing it further, I have this one tip for those of you that have never done it, you have to do it once...

Anybody headed to Moab in the daytime that is not in a super hurry, I suggest you take the Cisco exit off of I-70 and take the old, slow way in - probably full of cows and potholes but it the old 128 highway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Route_128) and is a majestic route as you descend into the Colorado canyon the slow and quiet way. Probably cost you 20-30 minutes but a must if you are on a bike, go slow if in an RV as there is no shoulder probably.  They built a new concrete bridge to replace the one lane historic wooden Dewey Bridge and then the old one caught fire from a young kid camping and playing with fire and it burned down a couple of years ago.  When they built that bridge it was the longest suspension bridge west of the Mississippi.  It was a thing of beauty in it's day.   and I'll never forget seeing it in the headlight of my buddies' Land Cruiser the first time we went there - turned the corner and wow - one lane wide - so narrow we could barely open our car doors to get out and stare at the pitch black deserted night.  The next day we ditched my motorcycle trailer and then I rode my 74YamMX360 next to them for the next week.  Crap I digressed again (I just love Moab!)...   

So..   After Dewey Bridge you just run along the Colorado (I highly suggest putting in a brand new CD from U2 called "The Joshua Tree" for this stretch...)  anyhow drive it past the awesome spires in Castle Valley, and you could take it all the way in to the main 191 highway just N. of Moab,  (but stop at your campsite first!).  Another good thing to know - where to find drinking water as there are not many places (besides bottled water at City Market or gas stations, or RV water at RV parks). One place is simple and free.. if you follow 128 until it ends at the main (busy) US highway 191 right at the river just north of Moab - well right at that junction near the pedestrian bridge is a water source.  I don't know if RV's can use it or not but I know there is drinking water there... handy.

Anybody want more tantalizing pictures?  hehehe...

jacin theis

:D   I cant wait. Thats great stuff there! thanks Snooker!
1100 GS

Sportfaller

I think this is the campground you are thinking of, I stayed there about 10 years ago, awesome sandy riverside camp, good shade, nice place.

If we want to day ride in the old uranium mines in paradox, C.O. they are about an hour east, and I have a place we can camp there or something on either end.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"