News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Your opinion please....I'm torn!

Started by JoniJo, November 05, 2011, 07:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoniJo

Hey folks...
This will give you an indication of where I'm leaning. I've read everything there is to read. I watched all the You-tube videos. I've ridden the Tiger 800XC. I have not ridden the BMW F800GS. I went to the BMW dealership and I wasn't offered a test ride. Strike one.   :-\
Depending on what you read, the bikes are almost a dead heat. The Triumph a little better in this area, the BMW a little better in that.

OK......I'd like your opinion. Weigh in people. I know which way I'm leaning..... but I'll keep that to myself for now.   ;D

Thanks, Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Osnabrock

Joni,
I've ridden the BMW but not the Triumph.
One of my buddies is in love with his F800GS.  He bought one of the first available US bikes.  He had some teething problems at first, as all new bikes have, but all were corrected through BMW service.  Sometimes BMW put themselves out, as in taking bikes off the sales floor to serve as donor bikes for his ailing bike.  That might make up for the fact that you couldn't take a test ride on on.  (Though I've vehemently not purchased from certain dealerships for that reason alone!  Idiots!!!)  I think you know him from giving him gas for his BMW 450X at the Spring rally, which he is very grateful for.
From what I know, the Triumph has better street manners, the BMW better off-road manners.  
What availability to parts do you have and what does service cost for each?  I'd say, buy from some one enjoy dealing and the one you trust because both are relatively new bikes and will have teething problems.
I'd suggest a KLR. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

loingrader

between those two, the trumph gets the better reviews.  the bmw is a little better in the dirt but pretty vanilla,  but the trump is good in the dirt, awesome on the road and it has SOUL.

but i've never ridden either.  just read a lot of reviews.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Sportfaller

I really like my 800GS, its taken a fair bit of fiddling to make it more worthy of the off road thrashing, but still needs a touch more refining, and a LOT of money (suspension and wheels) to get it where I ultimatly want it. it has great road manners, was a dream to ride to Utah, and not bad while I was there, the new gearing made worlds of difference. I've not ridden the XC, it wasnt available when I got the beemer, and there is no dealer in the hills. I think there are more parts and better aftermarket developments, but that may be a function of age. Really, its just about what you want to do, and how deep your pockets.

KLR's are nice, do everything, and with the savings you could trick it out
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

hellneau

I'm the kinda guy that when I want something (R1200GS) all the common sense in the world does not matter until I get it. Sounds to me like you like the Triumph. I have owned a few Triumphs and all were fine bikes (Trident, old Trophy - chopped hardtail, old Bonneville, last one was a 96 Trophy 900). My last beemer was attracted to deer. There are plusses and minusses to everything. Get what makes your heart beat a little faster and ignore everything else. Plus I wanna ride the XC. We don't have a Triumph dealer close.

how's the leg?

JoniJo

Thanks for the input people.
Now it's time for me to stew.....  :o

The leg is getting better everyday. I worked 5.5 hours last week. Now that's putting it to the test!

God bless you, everyone!!!   :-*     JoniJo

P.S. No more Oxy.......
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

greatbuffalo

First, glad to hear the leg is getting better. Awesome news!

Second. You know me, I'm triumph guy. I do like the BMW's but when it comes down to who I give my hard earned dollars to when it's a dead heat, I'll go with the underdog on this race and ride away with sweet smile on my face. I also think you will be ahead on dealer satisfaction and a lower repair bill if something does go south.

I think you like Triumph better too. Throw caution to the wind, throw down your hard earned cash and buy a Triumph. I would suggest you look elsewhere for after market accessories, ie; cases, crashbars etc, than buying the Trumph stuff. They do look good but not up to the aftermarket competition.

Can't wait to ride with you on your new bike. I think mine may look some different next spring. More to come......
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

JoniJo

JoniJo

Thomas Jefferson

Lonesome Dave

That Beemer on ebay is sweet. To get a bike like that for under 10k.....but hey, I'm also price driven.  The "buy it now" price sure seems to be good.  I don't know what it books for, but it looks clean.  Look at some of the other pics, the owner appears to be very particular with his stuff.
I know what I would do, a road trip to WY would be in my future.  Be careful, someone doesn't take it at the "buy it now" price and you end up spending another 5k for one that's just as shiny.  Lonesome Dave :)
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

KBB on that bike is 10,855 + 780 for ABS. Very nice bike but for a few grand more you could get a new ride with a warranty.
2011 Tiger Submodels            MSRP   Destination        Total
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC   $10,999       $495      $11,494

2 year unlimited mileage. And I'm sure you could get a few hundred knocked off that price.

You really are torn, aren't you?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hondaboy

Hello JoniJo,
I was the service department manager at a BMW dealer for a while and got to ride the F800GS quite a bit and loved it! I worked closely with Elka shocks to help develop their "shorter" shock to lower the bike for those riders a that find themselves lacking in the inseams. Please test ride one and let your impressions be known. I find it amazing that a dealer did not offer you a test ride, because that is something that the dealers are required to do as per the dealer agreement. I am guessing that the sales person was either new, or trying to go to lunch. The first thing I would consider doing to an 800GS is get a set of wheels from Woody's in Colorado. The stock rims are pretty soft.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

plumber mike

Hondaboy- Is the test ride a BMW only policy? That is the only dealer that has let me ride a bike for a test. If I'm throwing down that kind of coin on a bike, I want to ride it!

I too am looking for a new STREET bike that won't get too beat up on a gravel road.

I thought the DL650 was every bit as good as an F800. I have not ridden the Trump.

JoniJo

Thanks for all your thoughts folks. I'm still looking. I figure I've got all winter.    ;D
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!    :eat
                                                        JoniJo
JoniJo

Thomas Jefferson