News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

71 FJ55 Landcruiser

Started by jacin theis, July 07, 2012, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

More to come i am sure.  We are upgrading campers, and kicking around selling or renting our house, living on the road. This out to stir up some comments. Anyone ever lived in a motorhome??

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3124643769.html
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

jacin theis

1100 GS

greatbuffalo

Dang would I love to own that but it just the wrong time.

Life on the road, huh? A contemporary Jack Kerouak? Are ya going to follow the "dead" or something? Wait, these days its Furthur. Trying to find yourself?

All light hearted attempts at starting the speculations.

Good luck with the sale and your pursuit of life on the road. I wish I could take to the road.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Dan, if i had your skills, i wouldn't hesitate. Isn't there a lot of demand for mobile nursing? Not sure what we will do, but at this point in life, i want to spend time with my kids before they think i suck.  WE are just starting to plan for this, cleaning house and saving everything we can. I would love real experience feed back. It will be an adventure for sure.
1100 GS

The Yeti

Man, I'm jealous that you're even seriously considering full-timing...believe me, it's crossed my mind more than once, I just don't have the balls to do it.

You've probably been to RVforum.net, but in case you haven't, here's a great resource for full-timers:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?board=65.0

Good luck, and if you really do it, you gotta blog so we can all live the experience vicariously!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

greatbuffalo

There has been significant discussion in my house about travel Nursing. If something were to happen at my present employer, (read (shutter the doors), I think this would become a reality. My only drawback is that at this time, my wife is not in a position were she wants to do this. I may do it on my own and see how it goes for a stint or two, but being apart would be the difficult part. I'll give you all the blessings in the world to chase a dream like this while you are still in a condition where you can enjoy it and your kids can appreciative it. the problem is most folks wait too long.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

I figure the worst than can happen is i end up broke living off you guys and your taxes.... gotta love the government..... :evil
1100 GS

gerry1eye

Check with Rich (moab KLR650), he and his wife full timed RV'd for a few years before settling in the hills.
I think you should go for it, but personally I would be hung up on all that could go wrong, but that may just add to the adventure.
Gotta love Walmart camping. Here is a link to a site I subscribe to for cheap or free camping  http://www.overnightrvparking.com/index.php  If you look on line you can find other cheap campsite web pages. One trip I want to do is camping on the beach on the Baja peninsula. A group of skinny winnies meet at a San Diego Walmart in Jan and caravan down to Mexico for a warm winter.
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

Dr Psyko

Jacin,
My parents tried that, but gave it up after a year. They were pretty quiet about the change, but I think the misc expenses ate them up. I think they were more romantic about how it would work rather then practical. They had thousands of miles in a motor home, we owned one through the 70s-80s, they drove across country several times and made the trip to alaska back when it was still an adventure, but something happened.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on July 08, 2012, 10:20:41 PM
There has been significant discussion in my house about travel Nursing. If something were to happen at my present employer, (read (shutter the doors), I think this would become a reality. My only drawback is that at this time, my wife is not in a position were she wants to do this. I may do it on my own and see how it goes for a stint or two, but being apart would be the difficult part. I'll give you all the blessings in the world to chase a dream like this while you are still in a condition where you can enjoy it and your kids can appreciative it. the problem is most folks wait too long.

My wife spent several years as a traveller and loved it. let me know if you have any questions or are looking for a good company to go through..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Fletch

I think it is a great idea Jacin. I dream about it myself, but with 20+ years at my current employer and only 10 more to a full pension I guess I will have to wait until I retire (hopefully early).. good luck on whatever you decide.....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

jacin theis

I understand the expenses part. We have only started to research this. The hope is that we can live near several different family members and have a cheap place to park. This would be a great way to visit the last remaining grandparents while there. I also planned to do whatever work i rounded up when needed. I just don't want to look back after the kids are gone and busy and we feel old and worn out and wish we had done it. This going in everyday to pay for a house and retirement to not feel well enough to use it in the end seems backwards. I know several folks recently that are not much older than me that have had cancer battles. Kinda makes me think a bit. Anyway, this might not work out like we hope, but we are also not just jumping in. Already selling stuff we don't really need, either way, that feels good!
1100 GS

Sportfaller

best of luck to you man, you have far more guts than I.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

JoniJo

Hey Jacin..... You can always park in my yard!!!!!!!!     JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

jacin theis

might take you up on that Joni. We really think visiting family and friends without a schedule would be one of the best parts of the trip. Have already sold a bunch of stuff, and are looking for the "right" camper. Hope to pull the car and both BMW's so we can play and each have wheels if we get hard up and i get a real job wherever we are. Its crazy and or stupid, but does sound like fun.
1100 GS