Main Menu

FS: 2006 DRZ400S

Started by Hank, September 21, 2012, 05:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

** No longer for sale **

** This thread is now dedicated to the ongoing DRZ vs KLR flame war **

Located in Watertown SD

Nearly new knobby on front (IRC something or other, not street legal)
Brand spanking new Kenda K270 on the back.
4 Gal Clarke fuel tank, stock tank included
New this year lithium battery
Moose skid plate
Acerbis knock off bark busters
Renthal bars
Recent oil change
2K miles on valve check
Clymer manual included
Homemade (crappy looking but functional) rear rack with Pelican case attached.

Rox risers NOT included

Bike is in overall good shape.  Its been ridden off road plenty and has a few scuffs and scratches to show for it, but nothing serious.
The white plastic is stained and there are a few stress marks here and there.
16,300 miles, runs like a champ.

KBB puts book value around $3200.   Asking $2675.

plumber mike

Bumped ya over on ADV ;D

So what's next?

Lee Bruns

worst of it is, I really want a DR400 exactly like how that one is set up but have too many money sucking projects right now. DRAT!!!

Hank

I ended up getting a couple 2500 offers on this, which is fair for the shape and miles I suppose, and I decided to keep it.   It's just too good of a bike to sell for that.   Its way more bike than a KLR, as Bret will tell you ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on December 30, 2012, 01:27:13 PM
Its way more bike than a KLR250, as Bret will tell you ;)

i'm actually in agreement here but only barely.  :)
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on December 31, 2012, 09:53:51 PM
i'm actually in agreement here but only barely.  :)

:o  :o  :o

Now that's just wrong!!

Dr Psyko

The KLR is heavier anyway!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

NDave

Hank santa must have missed your house this year        the DR is  1/2   the bike a KLR is      thats the reason I got one for riding in the Hills       back home my KLR gets most of the miles      it gets better mpg hauls 2 up and cruises at 75 all day     that said what plastic tank does the job on a 400 suzy?
     Bogus I can't remember any fuel deal but when one rides a KLR 6 gal tanker I like to help out       after all we will surely need a hand picking our bike sooner or once a day if I follow  LD
     See you folks in June                Remember guys if this KLR bashing thing goes on for more than 4 hrs you may need to see a Dr.         or at least call Bret for advice   

Hank

Quote from: NDave on January 01, 2013, 10:25:15 PMthat said what plastic tank does the job on a 400 suzy?

My Clarke works pretty well

Quote from: NDave on January 01, 2013, 10:25:15 PMthe DR is  1/2   the bike a KLR is   

Only in terms of weight!

In terms of power, handling, and suspension its the other way around ;)

Dr Psyko

KLR is a BIG dirt bike, but truly still the best comprimize for the "ride across a state, and hit the trails" equation. You will find bikes better suited to road or trail, but nothing that's a better middle. A well set up DR650 comes close though... Anyone know anything more about that new Husky, the "Terra"?

Hank

Ride to Alaska and hit the trails, I'd agree, but not ride across the state.   At least for me.

After owning 2 KLRs and a DRZ - my take is that the KLR is 25% better on road but the DRZ is 75% better offroad.   So add that to your riding mix and decide from there.   

I've ridden the DRZ to the Black Hills 4 times (1K miles in a weekend) and the N. shore of Superior once (also 1K in a weekend) and it was just fine.   I will admit if I were riding to Tierra Del Fuego I'd rather take a KLR.

Dr Psyko

I must have bought the better one.

Hank

They were both equally KLRy :)

KLRs are great bikes, I'm certainly not a hater.  I just like my DRZ a bit more for what I do with it.  And its fun to argue about it!

loingrader

Psycho is riding from mpls to the hills so that's almost 2 full states away and quite a trek on a drz.  The thing that has always amazed me about klrs is they work pretty great on the road, even loaded down, and even on very poor roads.  They are cheap to buy, cheap to own, and cheap to fix.  They are heavy but that is what gives them tank like durability.  And off road they may not have the best suspension or the best engine but neither does a drz.  There are very very few places that a klr won't go with a skilled rider on it.

When I bought my cherry 92 for $1200 my plan was to ride it to the arctic ocean a few times and use my kdx as my hills bike.  The klr did so well in the hills that it was my go to steed for every ddsr rally from the original to just last year when I brought the wee and then the kdx out (neither of which compare as a ddsr mount).

If I lived in the hills and had other road trip bikes the drz would be almost perfect, as i love riding drzs out there.  But I think a wr250r would be better.  If someone made an affordable, reliable fuel injected dual sport 400 with dual counter balancers and  6 gears it would be perfect.

But for the money its hard to beat a klr650 if you want a true 50/50 dual sport adventure bike.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

grubbie

Quote from: loingrader on January 06, 2013, 08:48:31 AM
There are very very few places that a klr won't go with a skilled rider on it.

So true. I could not believe the places you guys put those KLR's at the first rally I attended. I would still love to have one, just can't quite afford to pull the trigger on a second dual sport bike. Besides, the WR might get lonely. I also agree on the 400 size FI dual sport. I always said that I would never give up my WR, and I won't. Unless, of course, they come out with a WR450R.......