News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

FS: 2006 DRZ400S

Started by Hank, September 21, 2012, 05:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Everyone's favorite argument for the KLR vs DRZ is that the KLR is so superior on road.  I just don't see how, unless the speeds get over 70mph.    Keep it in the 65 range and I find them to work about equally well.... with a slight edge to the KLR in mileage and a big edge in range.   I get over 40mpg on my DRZ at 60-65.   The DRZ does NEED a 4 gal tank though, but with that 150 mile range is adequate nearly everywhere.   

If I had to choose one for slabbing a long distance, I'd choose the KLR, but the KLR is pretty sucky on the slab too.   On a two lane road, I'd take the DRZ.   One area the DRZ beats the KLR on the road is cross wind performance...not sure why. but I thoght the KLR really sucked in a big cross wind.

Lonesome Dave

And I said I wasn't going to get into this.... :-\

I have also owned two KLRs and one DRZ.  Although I never traveled the kind of miles that Hank has on either bike I think I'm on his side.  When I had both of them at the same time, I really struggled with which one to sell.  I know which one I preferred to ride.  Hands down it was the DRZ.  If I had kept the DRZ, or KLR for that matter, and ridden any kind of distance, I would have two different front sprockets.  One for the road and one for trail.

Three years ago, all alone, I got myself into a situation off of Bull Dog Canyon Trail with the KLR.  I took a wrong turn about mid-way and kept going until it dead-ended.  Dammit, this doesn't go through, then O M G I have to go back.  It was much easier one direction than the other.  There was lots of pushing, panting, cussing and thoughts of "you dumb ass" while getting myself out of there.  Once I was back on the Bull Dog trail and the sun going down, I still had to ride it to Vanocker.  I never claimed I knew how to ride, but this little incident, it made a lasting impression on me!  I bought the DRZ the next spring.

I want options for my "what if" syndrome when choosing my ride.  I knew with the DRZ, I could take that unknown trail, but with the KLR I wasn't so confident.  I eventually sold them both and got a WRR and a Wee.  The Wee so my wife and I could ride two-up and the DRZ because I wanted a 6th gear.  "Wee" love the Wee, it handles two-up much better than the KLR, and with the DRZ, I wouldn't even bother trying two-up.  Everyone already knows how I feel about the WRR, but I do miss the acceleration of the DRZ.

I think both bikes provide a lot of bang for the buck and you can readily find good deals on both.  I think "setting up" the DRZ for your weight and load is much more important than it is on the KLR.  Another option that I did not know about when I sold my DRZ, was a wide ratio gear kit.   Bogus Jim found it on ThumperTalk.  (See the link)  The wide ratio drops the engine rpm down at high speeds, but still has enough power for hills or wind.  I really think this could be the ticket, especially if you already have a DRZ and are thinking about getting a different bike. 
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972833-wide-ratio-gears-but-no-six-speed/
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

I did a lot of riding up on the single track at Paul Bunyan Nat. Forest last summer.   I took my DRZ and WR450.  The WR is of course totally at home in that stuff.    The DRZ could get through it, but if felt like a pig, and it wasn't all the much fun.   If I had to ride a KLR through it, I'd have to pass.   I'm sure plenty of riders could do it no problem.   I probably could do it,  but it wouldn't be fun.  It would be a hell of a workout though!

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on January 06, 2013, 12:59:51 PM
And I said I wasn't going to get into this.... :-\

Its all in good fun here.  I'm sure, or at least hope, no one will ever get their feelings hurt in this discussion.    Bottom line is both bikes can do a lot, and which suits you better boils down to your skills, preferred riding, and expectations.

loingrader

And our minds are all made up anyway.   ;)  Its just good natured bantering.  I can't think of any 2 wheeled machines I wouldn't ride and enjoy.  If its got knobbies it jumps higher on the list and a drz or a klr both reside near the top.  Course right now an 83 gl650 is my nicest bike so take anything I say with a grain (or truckload) of salt.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

The nice thing about riding a big pig like the KLR or the Tiger for that matter, is when I jump on the WR250f, its like riding a bicycle.

I really did enjoy riding the WRR last fall as well, till it died....... Love the feel of that motor on the trail. Would never take it for a long haul like I see some guys do though.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

Despite owning several bikes (KLR650, DR650, Ducati 900SS, R6, KLX250) you know what I ride for a quick trip to Home Depot? The KLX! It's useless on the highway though. Seriously though, I can't see more then 500 miles on anything smaller then the KLR. Sure, it's work on trail rides, but I'm 6'4", 195 lbs, plus gear, and I seriously doubt a DRZ could do that consistently over 60 mph.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

Quote from: Dr Psyko on January 08, 2013, 01:10:40 PM
Despite owning several bikes (KLR650, DR650, Ducati 900SS, R6, KLX250) you know what I ride for a quick trip to Home Depot? The KLX! It's useless on the highway though. Seriously though, I can't see more then 500 miles on anything smaller then the KLR. Sure, it's work on trail rides, but I'm 6'4", 195 lbs, plus gear, and I seriously doubt a DRZ could do that consistently over 60 mph.

Oh yeah.. it could, no problem.   I had 460 on mine at 2pm one time.    65mph, all the way.     KLR would be better for that particular ride though..    I'm only 6'0, but slightly over 200 nekked at this point.  Well slightly over 210 actually, but not for long :)