News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

FOR SALE 2008 KTM 990 - Super Clean

Started by tkjacobs21, December 13, 2015, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkjacobs21

Howdy folks :)

This bike has come full circle and is up for sale again.

greatbuffalo

TK, Welcome.

If this was for sale earlier in the year I would have taken a serious look. I instead bought a new Tenere. I think these are one of the best, most well planted offroaders in the big bike world.

Beautiful bike and barely broken in. Good luck in finding a good home for it.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

I went and looked at it today.  It's in very good shape.  It's stored in a heated warehouse so I was able to sit on it and make vrroooom, vrroooom sounds pretending I was riding it!  I want more of a trail worthy bike than my Wee, but also want to ride two up with Lisa.  In fact, it's our 40th anniversary this year and have talked about going to Canada on a bike.

Jim tells me the motor is bullet proof and has many, many more miles left in it, but the gas mileage is only about 35 or so.  I was able to flat foot it (mostly).  He wants $8700.  What do you think of the price and what do you think my 08 Wee is worth?

I've also thought about the Tenere, and I'm sure it's more road/two up worthy, but limited on the trail. LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Loved my 990. There are some minor overheating issues (as adressed with the engine ice in the ad) but not really anything to worry about unless you are doing miles and miles of first gear stuff.  I believe that year had a few water pump issues, typically not a problem and if it is a couple hundred bucks fixes it.  All in all a great bike.  Not sure on the price, my '11 R was $14,500 new. Check KBB.  Typically KTMs require a bit more TLC but well worth it in my opinion. 
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Dave it would be the perfect bike for Great Buffalo's 2016 Tour de Colorado.

greatbuffalo

Like I mentioned above, this bike was on my very short list but a few things kept me from buying.

1. no used units near at the time. They had gone out of production when I was looking.

2. as Fletch said, they can be fiddley. Once sorted no issues but you really need to know what your getting. This one seems solid with the right stuff done early in the mileage life.

3. I bought what I did cause I got a killer deal with a great dealer down the street on a very historically reliable machine.

From the first time I rode one of these I was hooked. I like these FAR better offroad than my Tenere. I may still own one someday.

Dave, you could always keep the Wee for those two up days.

As far as price I think its a bit proud for the year but it does have low mileage. KBB lists it at $7855

Here's a comparison.  A 2009 with better farkles but a few more miles.  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2009-ktm-990-adventure.1111951/

Dr Psyko

What do you think of the recluse clutch on a bike like this?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Dr Psyko

This thing is driving me crazy also.  I'm trying to justify buying a new carbon fiber cross-country bicycle for next summer, and I'm likely to get a new Indian next year on the Polaris employee plan (thanks to my wife), so this would be a real reach.  But damn, if you wanted one of these, this seems like the one.

Fletch

Unless you are doing a lot of less than 10 mph stuff, I don't see the need for a recluse. But it would be nie on the slow stuff.  Killing the motor on this thing is like throwing out an anchor. 
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fletch on December 21, 2015, 03:59:16 PM
Killing the motor on this thing is like throwing out an anchor.

I never thought about it before, I'll bet its an anchor!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

We had a guy with a 950 I think, with a rekluse clutch when we were at Palmer Gulch. I took it for a ride up one of the rocky trails in the area and really saw a difference in that terrain by not having to play the clutch. I think in technical terrain the rekluse is worth its weight in gold, heck they cost almost as much as gold too.

Lonesome Dave

Kent, you thinking about selling the Ryan's old one, your new one?
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

Thanks God, now I can get some sleep!

Lonesome Dave

Doc, I hear ya.  Now if I could just get that Beta out of my head.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

tkjacobs21

Up for sale again, in the heart of riding season.
Previous buyer couldn't get it transported over to them!
I'll post up the Craigslist ad again:
http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/5616034528.html