News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Noob bling for KLR

Started by Dr Psyko, February 05, 2010, 03:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Psyko

Question guys, I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 KLR (as many of you know). As I peruse the websites I have discovered that there are almost as many accessories made for the KLR as for my old Harley! Let the fun begin! But seriously, Side protection bars, uppers, lowers, skid pans, racks, soft bags, panniers, where to start? Any recommendations? I'm thinking about the skid pan first, and maybe an aerostich "wolfman" bag for the rear. Or is it better to just bite the bullet and get the racks and hard panniers right away? How about windshields?

Thanks
Psyko Dr
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

loingrader

in my opinion, klr windshields are overrated.  they block plenty of wind bone stock and the bigger shields just get broken off easier with less clearance under trees.

get a skidplate.  you will want one if you ride in the hills

i've got a wolfman enduro tankbag which works great.

maybe the msr shifter because it is cheap insurance against breakage of the stock one.

i've got mermite cans (military, google it) but i haven't installed them yet.  if i go on a road trip i just mount a givi e460 topcase to my rear rack.  that holds more than enough for me. 

i don't like tank panniers because they get in the way of my legs

most of the crash guards will break or crack if they are used more than a couple times.  my tank was rusty so i got an ims tank which is stout and offers much better protection (in my opinion) than any of the crash bars. 

ims footpegs are nice too when riding thru mud/water/snow, etc.  stock pegs get slick. 

i can go on and on with klr mods.  just mod it out like your dr.  you've just got more options with a klr. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

You're right.  There are so many accessories for the KLR its hard to decide.  Likewise there about a million self proclaimed experts that say "you absolutely must upgrade the fusebox/grips/cables/wiper fluid/yadayadayada."   It's hard to filter through all the crap.  

After owning a couple, knowing a number of owners, and reading entirely too much on the forums...I agree with Loingrader for the majority.

Must dos:
Doohickey (DONE).. the only real flaw with the stock bike
Skid plate..  stock one is pretty much for street or gravel roads only
A good set of dual sport tires for offroad.  Kenda K270's are my first choice for cost and performance on the KLR.

Everything after that is a matter of preference.

SS brake lines - I think it's worth it on the front.    Stock lines are pretty spongy.
Fork brace -  I'd do this too.  Stiffening up the front helps noticeably on gravel roads
IMS tank - this is a good mod IMO.  Good radiator protection and 300 mile range.
Tank bag - nice
Panniers - I'd choose soft bags.  Nothing would suck worse than smashing your ankle between an aluminum pannier and a rock (well not much would suck worse).
Shifter - it really depends on the stock one.  Some stockers have dodgy welds and break, some go forever.
Crash bars, both upper and lower..   ehh.. they're a total PITA once they're bent, and the IMS tank and good skid plate protect the vitals pretty well.  I'd pass.

Beyond that.. $.22 carb mod is popular but I'm unconvinced.  Fuse box upgrade... same.. etc.. etc... etc...
There are maybe 500 additional mods that fall into the "I'm going to do this simply because I want to" category....

I did a LOT of mods to my '00, and nearly everything I got I bought in "barely used" condition off ebay or the KLR650.net forum.

fringefan

I second the tank, foot pegs, shifter, but would add in some handguards.  The IMS pegs are the cats meow but you can pick some decent ones up off ebay for $20.00 and they work great.
Seat is a nice upgrade if you do any distance and I am a big fan of the 14t front sproket and some bar risers.

As far as mods the list is long as you know but I willl say that any carb, fuel, air, and exhaust mods done all get into more work than they might be worth if you want to keep the mileage.

The list of mods as you know is long and but the stock foot shifter is junk.

Hank

+1 on the footpegs if you ever plan to ride through anything wet.  I forgot about those.

loingrader

+1 on the cheap bark busters (with metal wrapping all the way around).  protect your levers, protect your hands and keeps your hands warmer in the winter.  i HATE breaking levers and never have since i put barkbusters on all my dirt bikes.  i like the tusk ones from rockymountainatvmc dot com.  i've got the acerbis ones on my kdx and they are awesome but the tusk ones have worked great too for a lot less coin.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

Thanks for the info guys, have to get the checkbook reved up (showing my age I guess, should have said debit card and computer). Thanks for the "tusk" info.

fringefan

check bikebandit.com because they have some cheap parts. Bought risers for $20.00 and got there outlaw handle cars but don't remember the cost. I know they also have bark busters in the outlaw brand as well.

Hank

bikebandit.com and cheapcycleparts.com are my vendors of choice when it comes to online bike parts.

hayduke.klr07

i have to chime in here.  if you suck like me...buy every guard you can.  starting with the skid plate.  it  is a must even on pretty moderate terrain.  i'll third the foot pegs.  gus put suzuki pegs on his klr and likes them.  i have moose and they are dynamite.  cheapest and best mod?  throttle rocker.  (get the wide one.  and not the one with velcro!)  worth every penny.

oh yea.  i took my windshield off and like the clean air better.  now that is a cheap mod.

OOFDA

I agree clean air is better, no buffeting. But on the long rides I like to have something to take the wind pressure off my upperbody. Also, when riding thru rain at highway speeds its nice to get some protection. What brand, model and style of helmet do you wear?
It certainly sounds like you are setting up the bike to ride in the rough stuff. I am setting mine up to ride to events, over long distances, then ride double track or good single track, not the hero stuff. If the event has alot of challenging single track I will haul my Bultaco or XT500 to ride. Just a different method to my madness!

OOFDA

Dr Psyko

I'm wondering about windshields too. MSA seems to have a intermediate height.