News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Bogus Jim Custer Loop Trail Saturday 8-3-2013

Started by Robmicgrn, July 31, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmicgrn

I have been talking with Lonesome Dave and Bogus Jim about doing the "entire" Custer Loop trail this Saturday. It was attempted a few weeks ago by the two of them and they got sidetracked and never did the whole thing (sidetracked exploring new stuff I think). I was busy then and couldn't make it, so I thought I would resurrect the attempt. Thought I would post and see if anyone else is interested in joining us. I believe it is a 160 mile loop, and after looking at the tracks, it involves a bunch of areas that I have wanted to ride but have not gotten to yet. Maybe Bogus can repost the tracks? Not sure of the starting time (early I hope) or the place, so the final details need to be figured out. I am sure the others will chime in with their suggestions as the plan develops.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

Hmm... Sounds like fun and I think I may be free on Saturday..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Here are the gps tracks and a google earth shot. I'm flexible on the start time/place, I think we should be rolling before 9am though.

Wacked

This looks like a sweet loop.....  I'm thinking I can do Sat. 

Wacked

Robmicgrn

Just spoke to LD and this is what we came up with. Meet up at the Slate Creek Grill in Hill City @ 8 ish, eat breakfast and plan on leaving there 8:30 ish and Heading to Custer. We could meet up again at the Common Cents before 9 am at 385/16 and hit the trails from there or if everyone is there for breakfast fuel up (anywhere) and head for the trail. If this doesn't work or someone has a better suggestion, post it. Roading into Custer I think will be best. If we try to trail it in we may get sidetracked or worse, lost  ;) and not get the whole loop done in a timely matter.

Robert

Sportfaller

I miss riding that loop! hell, riding in general.... and to make it worse I may be converting to a sled-head this year!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Robmicgrn on August 01, 2013, 03:25:23 PM
Meet up at the Slate Creek Grill in Hill City @ 8 ish, eat breakfast and plan on leaving there 8:30 ish

Sounds good, I don't think I've ever seen Dave eat breakfast in 30 minutes though?  ;D

ORedenbacher

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Sportfaller on August 01, 2013, 04:03:30 PM
I may be converting to a sled-head this year!

I was up in the West Yellowstone area last week, I could easily convert, or better yet have both!

Quote from: ORedenbacher on August 01, 2013, 08:41:42 PM
You folks out west have all the fun!!   

I told you guys at the rally, you can stay here until you find a place.  Oh yea, bring the Tigers too.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

I don't mean to rub it in to the folks out east, but the weather says "slight change of rain on Saturday" with a high of 75 degrees.
Just saying!   :evil
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Sounds like a great time could had on this ride. If Dave goes, I can't wait to hear the trouble he gets you all into.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Robmicgrn

Sounds good, I don't think I've ever seen Dave eat breakfast in 30 minutes though?  ;D
[/quote]

I will try to get Dave there a little early   :) .......

Lonesome Dave, Bogus Jim, Fletch, Wacked and myself. Anyone else in?

Fletch

I'm bring a friend on a super tenerre, he's a little nervous about "dirt bike stuff" but I'm sure he will do fine.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Here's a report and a few photos from the ride today.

We had some rain overnight in the Hills, and when I got up in the morning, it was wet and foggy. I wasn't sure if anybody was going to show up for this ride. Heading out of town, the fog was so bad south of Rapid City that visibility was probably 50 yards, and I nearly rode through a red light on Highway 16. But after passing the Reptile Gardens, the fog cleared and the sun came out. Quite a change in just a mile or two.

We got to Slate Creek Grill about 7:45... the parking lot was still mostly empty. After breakfast, the lot was starting to fill up with Harleys. As the saying goes, one of these bikes is not like the others.

After breakfast, we headed to Custer: Robmicgrn, Lonesome Dave, Wacked, Dr. Don with two of his riding buddies (Tim and Rob), Fletch with a friend (Greg) on a shiny new Super Tenere, and myself.

At the end of the first trail, east of Custer.

We saw piles of hail on the trail, and it was pretty slick from the rain. The Weather Channel said Custer got 0.60" of rain last night, but judging from the trail conditions, I think it was probably a lot more than that.

The next stop was Cicero Peak. Here we are at the top.

A discussion broke out about the best tires for riding singletrack on a 1200 GSA.

After Cicero Peak, we split into 2 (or 3?) groups, with Dr. Don, Fletch, and friends leaving to ride some other trails, leaving Robmicgrn, Lonesome Dave, Wacked, and myself to try and conquer the 160 mile Custer Loop. The rain last night was working against us, as every trail was muddy and greasy enough to keep the average speed well below what we could normally ride.

Here we are after exiting S&G canyon, heading for the Jewel Cave area.

A trail overlooking the Jewel Cave area. There was a fire here some years ago and not many trees have grown back.

We had to make a gas stop in Newcastle, Wyoming. Both stations had ridiculously long lines of Harleys backed up, and it would've taken 30-40 minutes to fill up, but Lonesome Dave said there was a station on the west side of town that probably wouldn't be busy. Sure enough, we got there and no lines, so that worked out well. Brad insisted that we eat at Taco John's, he said the food there acts as a mild laxative and helps keep him regular.

At the Summit RIdge lookout tower. The Forest Service rents this cabin to campers. Seems like it would be a peaceful place to spend a night or two.

We didn't get to Summit Ridge until 4:30. We were about 2/3 of the way through the 160 mile loop, but we were starting to question whether we would complete the whole loop, as the last 1/3 is the hardest. We decided to ride part of the powerline trail and then bail and head home.

Back at Hill City, where we started this morning at 9:00 am. Lots more Harleys on the street, though.

Back home. I seem to be washing my bikes a lot more this year, I wonder if that means the drought in the Black Hills is over?

It turned out to be a nice day for riding. I figured we had a 50/50 chance of getting rained on, but we stayed dry all day. And in spite of all the mud, we had no serious crashes, so all in all it was a fun day. Thanks to everyone who showed up, I hope we can do it again sometime.

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?