News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Bogus Jim Custer Loop Trail Saturday 8-3-2013

Started by Robmicgrn, July 31, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Thanks to all who came along.  I'm sure we would have kept the group together longer if it wasn't for the torrential rain/hail from the night before.  The mud/slime was a pain.  In Custer, I saw an ATV w/plow pushing hail around in the Subway parking lot!

Good ride report Jimbo.  I'm starting to believe its me or the loop.  I've tried this thing twice now, and still haven't made it.  I've been on different parts of it, not whole damn thing, yet!  I've got a few pics I will add.

The same great panoramic view of the valley behind Jewel Cave (south side) without me standing there peeing.

I took this opportunity for a photo op.  Now keep in mind I told them I was going to head up the hill and take a picture of them coming up the hill, with the pretty back ground.  Now the first two photos shouldn't even be posted.  But you guessed it, they all came up the hill one at a time.  The 3rd photo is once again the Rock Star, Mr. Photogenic, Wacked.  So in all fairness, I've included all three pics and try to imagine them riding close together!

This is the first hint of time and that we might not make it, again.

Another pretty and unique place (Red Bird Canyon area).

The old tower on Summit Ridge.  It was closed down in the 70s, but is still sometimes manned in extreme fire conditions.  That box at the top is 6'x6'.  How would you like that pucker factor, standing in the metal box on the metal structure in a lighting storm.

It was here on Summit Ridge we decided to bail.  The odometer count was 108 miles into the 160 miles of the loop.  I'm not sure the if the 160 is including the 10 miles each way into Newcastle for gas and food.  It was a great day, NO DUST, lots of mud and wouldn't have wanted to miss it.  LD 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

To borrow a phrase from Yeti:  "I hate you guys."    :evil

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

agspecialties

does anyone have a gps route? This would be a great route for us in the fall when we come up.

never mind, just found it on page 1

Lonesome Dave

Update for an OLD thread;

This Custer Loop has been on my bucket list for sometime.  I've tried doing it 2 different times without success.  Group to big, get side tracked, but probably just didn't understand how hard it is to do in one day.  Al least for this old guy.

Yesterday, I decided I was going to ride it today.  I first called the man that put this loop together.  Bogus says sure I'll go, but later calls back and says, no.  He's going out of town and has errands to do.  I think he just knows how hard it is to do and how slow I am.  I call Wacked and he's all in.  Poor Brad. 

Brad and I leave this morning and meet at Hill City and then up to the top of 6 mile road for our starting point.  I've got to say Jimbo put a great loop together, very diverse.  I know many have traveled parts of this loop, but every time I do this loop, or attempt to do it, I'm always impressed with the trails and scenery.  And after today, I'm also impressed how long this loop actually is!

So Brad and I completed the loop today.  Below you find our stats on how the day went.  But first,  I will start by saying as the day got longer and longer, we just kept going and going.  We both wanted to be able to say, "I've rode the Custer Loop in a day."  But I think I wanted to say it more than Brad!  We both hauled our own gas and filled while we were at Summit Ridge.  This way we didn't have to go to Newcastle, WY for fuel (20 mile round trip).

First, I think its fair to say, this loop can't be done with 8 to 12 riders.  I think 1 to 4 is the most.  If you want  to split it into two days or two trips then it wouldn't matter.  Jim has done it and he's the only one, and he did it by himself.  That's why he can do it in around 6 1/2 hours.  The man is a machine.  When you see our stats you'll understand what I'm talking about. 

So, Brad and I did complete it.  We did the exact route, except we did not go to the top of Cicero Peak.  At the turn off to go up, we skipped it.  We've both been there twice, and didn't want to take the time or travel the 2 miles. 

So here's the stats.  They are NOT impressive.  BUT, they are real!

Left my house at 0745 hrs
Met Brad in Hill City and started our little adventure 0845 hours at the top of 6 mile road.
Ended, back at the same place we started..............1830 hours.  That's 9 hrs and 45 mins.  I know IMPRESSIVE.
Back at my home 1945 hours.  That's 12 hours even.  Wow

Total miles (trail start to trail end) 159.7 miles.  And don't forget another 90 miles (45 each way) to get there and back.
Average moving speed; 23.4 mph
Total moving time; 6 hours, 49 minutes.
Total stopped time; 2 hours, 44 minutes.

One more stat, 12 to 14 regular gates (started to loose count) and around dozen "Woody gates."

I know, wow.  I also know, Brad would have been faster by himself, probably about 20 percent faster!  When I talked with Jim, he told me he managed to stay just above 30 mph.  Now that at least 20 percent faster than Brad and I.  And is exactly why he was able to do it in 6 1/2 hours. 

What's all this mean, nothing.  I'm just saying if you want to do this loop in a day, you better be able to ride 30 mph on the overall average, or plan on a very long day.  We got home after dark.  Will I do it again, probably not, at least not with the commitment to do it in a day.  But it's a great ride and most of it is very fun.  Thanks Jim, I think!  Oh yea, "we rode the Custer Loop in a day," a very long day.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Sounds like a good day. I did the Crazy Horse Volksmarch in 4 hours. Not sure how this compares but I did it in a day.  ;D ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Congrats Dave and Brad. Actually I've never averaged 30 mph on the Custer Loop. The one time I finished in 6.5 hours, I averaged about 25 mph.

Nemo is the place for singletrack, but if you want long dual sport trails I think the Southern Hills is the best area. Credit to Sportfaller for  showing me a lot of cool trails in the Southern Hills including his Southern Loop.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Bogus Jim on September 29, 2014, 10:28:46 AM
Actually I've never averaged 30 mph on the Custer Loop. The one time I finished in 6.5 hours, I averaged about 25 mph.

Jim that's funny!  All day long Brad and I were watching the gps trip log.  Keeping track of our average speed.  It pretty much was running at 24.xx mph most of the day.  Of course our goal was 30mph.  We kept trying to figure out what we could do to make it faster.  (Answer was simple, ride faster.)   At Summit Ridge, we were at 24.7 mph average.  By the time we got through the "power-line trail" and the remaining trail to Ditch Creek area our speed slowed down a lot to end at 23.4mph.  At least now I feel better!!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Wacked

It was a spectacular ride -  Fall colors were full on, trail conditions perfect, temp just right.

It was a good way to round out the riding season

Wacked

Stevsie

^ Sounds like my kinda ride  8)

Good luck! Ride safe!