News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New to forum

Started by Adventure Dan, February 15, 2013, 06:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adventure Dan

Hey all my name is Dan I live in rapid city and am a newbie to the forum and motorcycles however I'd like my first bike to be a dual sport any suggestions? I appreciate all advice. I've been thinking something like a dr650 or klr650

jacin theis

Glad your here Dan. This question will be as fun as asking what oil to use. There are some hardcore KLR fans here. I won't even mention a powerline trail that a BMW made it up, but a KLR didn't.  :evil

Hope you make it to a rally. There are a lot of fun guys to meet.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

Welcome!  What kind of riding will you do?   Mostly offroad, or mainly onroad?  Your mix of riding is important when deciding.

I'm partial to a DRZ400 over a KLR, but there are many here who disagree.    Honestly both are great.  If you're a true newbie though, I'd suggest that smaller is better, and maybe even look for a 250 or smaller.   There are a lot of capable bikes out there and which is best for you depends on what type of riding you'll do, your experience level, and even your physical size.

My wife tried a few different bikes before finding an XT225 which was the perfect starter bike for her.  Its capable of going 60 mph no problem and is easy and forgiving to ride.

Lonesome Dave

Hey Adventure Dan, I told you, (pm message) all you have to do is ask.  You can see the friendly argument starting already.  Loingrader will join in soon, I'm sure.
(don't disappoint me Bret).  Welcome again.  LD 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

Better late than never.  The klr650 has a spot in my heart but if I lived in the hills and rarely rode 2 up and had no desire for long road trips I'd have a smaller bike like the venerable tw200.  Especially as my first bike because they are so damn fun even for a brand new rider and even on a tough trail.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

Hey Brett, I just got another TW last week, "87", needs some work, but runs.  Now we should have a spare for rallies.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

I know of a klr with only a couple thousand miles on it like new if you are interested I can get you more info
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Adventure Dan

I am a true beginner and thought I'd heed previous advice and look into a drz 400. I drove one around last weekend and I think this will be the better way to go until I improve my skills. Anyone's input on a decent gently used drz would be great.

Lonesome Dave

Ask Hank, he has several of them!  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Osnabrock

I really like my DRZ. 
It's my "go-to" around town bike.  It was also the bike I used as my intro to offroad riding.  It was the perfect bike to test the waters, as far as off road riding goes.  It has decent suspension for such things and it seems totally happy being ridden high or low in a gear.  The only shortcoming in offroad riding is that it likes to follow ruts.  It has a bit too much weight to handle sloppy conditions or the ruts I mentioned.  The weight, however, comes in handy in rough conditions because of it's willingness to follow a line.
I rode my first enduro with my DRZ.  I split a radiator about 5 miles from the end but rode it though.  It ran pretty hot but survived. 
I still do trail maintenance with it and use it, as I mentioned, as my "around town" bike.
It would likely be the last bike I'd get rid of if worse came to worse.
As a price point......I bought my '04 from a dealership two or three years ago for $3,800 with 4,500 miles, if memory serves. 
A VERY trustworthy bike in my experience.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Hank

Here's one of a million good ADVrider ride reports involving DRZs and long distances.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823825

He noted he was getting close to 50mpg.