News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Wanted, Input on purchasing a DS Motorcycle

Started by Frogman8, June 05, 2009, 09:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman8

Greetings,
It's  been awhile since my last motorcycle and it looks like a few things have changed. I am considering Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki in the 650cc range. So, if you have any experience with these, I would like hearing the good and bad.
Thanks

The Yeti

Kawasaki - KLR650 (prefferably pre-2008)
Suzuki - DR650 (Flexlarson has his for sale http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=265.0)
Honda - XR650

Out of these three, the DR is the most dirt oriented, the KLR 2nd best, with the XR in third (IMO).
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

Off road
XR
Dr
KLR

Road
KLR
DR
XR

KLR with front springs, new rear shock, and a fork brace will greatly improve it off road so it could be as good if not better for $650.00. Dr needs a tank and rear rack which I think run about $500. End of the day a fork brace might be enough for you considering your build. Boils down to cost and the rest is just things to do in the winter when you can't ride. 

loingrader

if you ever want to take a road trip (over 100 miles at over 60mph) i would avoid the honda's.  i'm a huge honda fan (i own 3) but for the money, klr's take the cake.  since they have been relatively unchanged for 20 years, parts are cheap, aftermarket is huge and you can find deals (my 92 with 4000 miles was $1200)

dr's are nice bikes, more vibes than a klr and smaller tank from the factory.  the honda's are nice bikes too, but just not as street oriented.  the klr is probably the most street oriented, but i can ride it anywhere a dr or an xr will go.  maybe not as fast (as a xr650r), but the rider is the deciding factor most times on where these bikes will go.  even bone stock, it is amazing where a klr will go.

there is a reason that probably half our group rides klr's.  plus during a ride, if something breaks, someone's probably got a spare and knows how to fix it!

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Jared

Or like Hank who *used* to ride a KLR but can still help me fix mine! 8)

fringefan

KTM are sweet but the ones I have ridden with seem to spend lots of time on their side ??? I think this guy just spends too much time playing with his gadgets ;D

Like this one

fringefan

Forgot to mention windshields on some bikes are limited when you do hit the road.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on June 05, 2009, 01:34:37 PM
KTM are sweet but the ones I have ridden with seem to spend lots of time on their side ??? I think this guy just spends too much time playing with his gadgets ;D

Do I REALLY deserve comments like these??!!  Huh?!!   :-\

OK, I probably do....but that's beside the point.  8)  Can't a BIG bike rider get any R-E-S-P-E-C-T around here??  You guys and yer little 650s, showin' off in the rock gardens....well, screw YOU!   ;D

Seriously, though....I'm beginning to think that either me or my bike just aren't cut out for the kind of stuff you guys love to ride. EVERY SINGLE TIME I enter a rock garden, I'm on my side at least once, if not multiple times. Sooner or later, I'm gonna break something important (either on the bike, or on ME).  Maybe I need to stick to the dirt until I get a more rock-worthy steed...I'd really hate to break something and hold up the rest of the group because I'm too stoopid to know better.

Frogman8

Man you guys are a friendly bunch!  I thank you for all your input.  Hopefully my back heals up soon and I can get moving forward with this expedition.
Thanks,
Jason

fringefan

I just love that pic of your bike in the mud puddle and like to pull it out any chance I get ;D 

Yeti, you are a farbetter rider now than the first time we all went out. Little more confidence with the bike and the throttle and we will have a hard time keeping up.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on June 05, 2009, 04:20:22 PM
I just love that pic of your bike in the mud puddle and like to pull it out any chance I get ;D 

This one's even better!

This pic is really deceptive, though...my bike is actually perched on the ridge between two ruts...the water in the ruts was at least 1.5ft deep!!   :o

QuoteYeti, you are a farbetter rider now than the first time we all went out. Little more confidence with the bike and the throttle and we will have a hard time keeping up.

Thanks, man...means a lot coming from you.  :-*  I'll try not to fall over so much on our future outings!   ;D

Hank