News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Pictures don't do it justice

Started by Fletch, August 17, 2013, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

It looks so easy in the picture, but Jim and I were about shot by the time we got through it...

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

It was a fun ride, but I really hit a wall on that last trail. We rode some Nemo singletrack, then hit Johnson Siding singletrack 8500, 6330, 6329, 6328, 6305, 6322, 6321.

On the way back I told Mike "let's try a rock crawler trail, I want to be tired when I get back to the trailer". About 15 minutes later I was really tired. The rock crawler trails are rated 1-5, I believe the one we tried is 4+.

Here's one that's rated 5, just a bit east of where we were. I think it would require a trials bike and a pretty good trials rider to get through this.

There's a description of some of the trails here. The Camp 5 that we often ride at the DDSR rallies is rated 3+, they call it Calamity Canyon.

http://dakotacruisers.com/trails/

Fletch

We will have to try it on a day that is a lot cooler

greatbuffalo

Like Carl's Diner at Erzberg. Looks like fun...... I think.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on August 18, 2013, 11:20:19 AM
Like Carl's Diner at Erzberg. Looks like fun...... I think.

You'll have to bring your WRF to the fall rally.  ;)

For inspiration here's Johnny Walker going through Carl's Diner...

greatbuffalo

Yup! the WR is coming along. I'm looking to have some fun.

ORedenbacher

Quote from: Bogus Jim on August 17, 2013, 06:59:23 PM

The rock crawler trails are rated 1-5, I believe the one we tried is 4+.

Here's one that's rated 5, just a bit east of where we were. I think it would require a trials bike and a pretty good trials rider to get through this.

There are trail ratings!?!  I like this reference detail better than "Oh, it'll be fine."  Good to know.   :) 

Fletch

Quote from: ORedenbacher on August 19, 2013, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: Bogus Jim on August 17, 2013, 06:59:23 PM

The rock crawler trails are rated 1-5, I believe the one we tried is 4+.

There are trail ratings!?!  I like this reference detail better than "Oh, it'll be fine."  Good to know.   :)

Lol.. Yea, my typical rating is "it's pretty easy other than that one little tricky spot"

Hank

I like "it'll be fine" and "you won't have any trouble" followed by several hours of "think of all the skills you are learning" and finishing with "I never claimed you'd think it was fun".

Osnabrock

That trail has me reconsidering coming out for the Fall rally.  I've been working much to hard recently.  I may have to abandon a Boundary Waters trip for a moto trip to the rally. 
Otherwise, that trail's on my Spring rally docket. Glacial plain Minnesota just doesn't offer the opportunities that the Black Hills does.
Good going guys.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Fletch

Quote from: Osnabrock on August 20, 2013, 09:44:48 PM
That trail has me reconsidering coming out for the Fall rally.  I've been working much to hard recently.  I may have to abandon a Boundary Waters trip for a moto trip to the rally. 
Otherwise, that trail's on my Spring rally docket. Glacial plain Minnesota just doesn't offer the opportunities that the Black Hills does.
Good going guys.

We know the escape route if you get tired before the end ;)

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Stevsie

That'd be Fruity Pebbles!! Fun!!! Cant belive you'd want toride it though. I'm thoroughly covinced that no vehicle can make it through that with less than a 35in tire haha.

Unsure on a trail # for it. On BH4wheelers its 1 through 10 now and that one is rated an 8!!

Bogus Jim

Quote from: StevsieThat'd be Fruity Pebbles!! Fun!!!

There is one in same area called Captain Crunch ( I guess they're all named after cereal? ) that is supposed to be rated 5+ or 10 on the 1-10 scale. I think that one is 6312, I don't know numbers for the rest of them.

I don't have pictures of Capt Crunch but I've seen it, it's unbelievable that a vehicle of any kind can get through there.  :o   It would be interesting to watch a rig crawl through there.

greatbuffalo

I do believe if I'm feelin alright on the day or took my meds ( :o) in the morning, I would attempt it. I have no delusions that I would make it, but I am willing to try. On the two-fitty, not the Tiger (oh my) or even the KLR.