Sturgis Adventure Motorcycle Rally??????

Started by greatbuffalo, March 14, 2014, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Well here's the deal

On my way home this morning I went on a dealer tour. I stopped by The BMW dealer and then went to find Cycle Hut to find that business in flux. I spent a lot of time chatting with the owner about their issues with a certain orange manufacturer. Tough deal.

They have lots of KTM swag and parts at blowout prices and don't be afraid to dicker if you need stuff.

Anyway, she asked an interesting question. She asked if we as a group or individually would be interested in helping the City of Sturgis in starting an adventure motorcycle rally. She works part time for the city's planning events.

I told her I could not speak for the group and that I would put it out there for discussion.

Some of the things she said is that they would block off a block so we have street parking, plan a spaghetti feed at the fire hall and bring the films of our choice to the new theater. She talked of getting a band, working with a campground, and hotels. I told her that we are a different bunch from that of the Harley crowd and that an open container waver for main street would not be needed. She mentioned a campground out off Van Ocker (?) Canyon Road. She suggested a liqueur maker could sponsor but I said a beer, craft beer, would be more in keeping with who we are.

We spent about an hour kicking around some ideas. All the big things would be on them but they are looking for advisers and would do what we want for the most part. She said what the city is trying to do is tell the world that they welcome everyone, not just "bikers" and Harley's. She is the one that did much of the leg work for the supermoto races that started last fall. I think the fall would the best time for this event. She asked if they coupled it with the supermoto or make it it's own event the week before or after, or even further apart.

This is all talk and ideas, we would have the say if something would work or not. I told her I'd put it out there and see what kind of interest there is in the group. I repeat that this isn't a DDSR event but we could have it, "in cooperation with" or Sponsored by DDSR" (without any cash on our end) or something of the like if we would like.

So its out there. This is just a briefing of what was thrown around.

what do you think? 
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

She also told me that the guy that owns Lake Elsinore Motorsports park is looking for land and financing to build a REAL motocross track in Sturgis. That would be cool.

Hank

A big get together would be fun and it would be great to meet more people who like doing what we do.

Most of the point of us getting together though is the actual off road riding we do, how that jibes with a Sturgis style rally..  I dunno?

I would definitely come if my schedule allowed, but I already have a hard time making both our our campground rallies.

What kind of a turnout would they need to consider it a success?    Our biggest "rally" to date was about 60 bikes.

greatbuffalo

I did say that they could not use the "big" rally in any way to gauge an Adv rally. I did tell her that the biggest rally we've had was around 60 to 65 riders. She then commented that the original Strugis rally was small too. They would do it no matter how small it is.

The one thing  kept reiterating that if some of us were to get involved it would not be the same as our DDSR rallies. I explained that we are a loosely organized group of folks that love to ride and one of the things we all love about the group is its size. I think most would agree that it would not be as much fun with 100's people. We like the fact that we have gotten to know many of the people in the group and almost becomes family. 

I'm kind of on the fence about this. It would love to have see a great event come to the area that would allow for seminars, corporate reps, and other events. I also look forward to getting together with my buds to go ride. 

This post has gotten 28 views and only Hank has responded with comments. I wonder how much support there is something like this in our group. Like I said, I'm kinda on the fence too but there is some potential for something cool to made out of this idea.

Osnabrock

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 16, 2014, 12:26:37 AM
The one thing  kept reiterating that if some of us were to get involved it would not be the same as our DDSR rallies. I explained that we are a loosely organized group of folks that love to ride and one of the things we all love about the group is its size. I think most would agree that it would not be as much fun with 100's people. We like the fact that we have gotten to know many of the people in the group and almost becomes family. 

I'm kind of on the fence about this. It would love to have see a great event come to the area that would allow for seminars, corporate reps, and other events. I also look forward to getting together with my buds to go ride. 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying.  Especially the parts about knowing the people in the group and becoming family. 
I do like the idea of seminars, corporate reps, and other events.
I generally don't have as much fun at gatherings that draw large numbers but it seems that much of the local MN riding community doesn't mind it.  Certain things can only exist when there are large numbers behind it (Sturgis type gatherings) and others are the opposite (DDSR). 
Just my thoughts.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Dr Psyko

Interesting ideas. I know there other adv style rallies around, a bigger rally in CO and WI for example. People show up. Wonder what would be the advantage for us though. I like the way this group slowly grows around cental idea of riding. Woulc more people be more fun?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

I could see DDSR helping promote it by spreading the word both here and on ADV, but other than that it seems like we wouldn't necessarily want be tied to it in any way.    I imagine it might get more people on DDSR, which is fine n dandy, but I don't necessarily want to see 1000 people show up at the fish n fry some June either :)

So in a nut shell, if I were king: Sturgis would put on an ADV rally.   We would put some effort into helping spread the word.   DDSR may or may not grow because of the Sturgis ADV rally, and either way is fine.

jacin theis

I grew  up with my dad taking me to Sturgis for "the Rally". When I attended my first BMW rally, I was so amazed to find seminars and tech programs. It was a whole different mentality. Discussing and promoting riding through countries, not bar to bar. It would love to attend a dual sport rally that had this same approach. That said, dual sporting doesn't lend itself well to large groups (in my opinion). I would really enjoy if we got together and had garage nights where those of us with less mechanical background might learn from you more experienced guys, and we could chit chat over a few drinks.
The problem there is, we are geographically, a spread out group.
I would attend a Sturgis Dual Sport event, just because I would like to see the bikes that came, but DDSR really works well for me as is (when I am there).
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Fletch

I think it would be a great event. but, with no direct connection to DDSR. just my opinion but I think it should be it's own event, with it's own participants. I would love to see it happen (and grow).
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

There are a LOT of dual sport rallies in the U.S. and in a sense Sturgis would be competing with these for customers.

List of 2014 rallies
http://www.usdualsports.com/2012/12/dual-sport-rides.html

AMA small bike
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Dirt/EventsAndSeries/NationalDualSport/NationalDualSportSchedule.aspx

AMA big bike
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Dirt/EventsAndSeries/NationalAdventureRide/NationalAdventureRideSchedule.aspx

"Official" ADVRider rallies
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598472

That said, with the proper organization and advertising I don't see why a Sturgis ADV rally couldn't happen, but it would take a knowledgeable dedicated person(s) to volunteer and drive this over a multi-year period, and that might be the rub. Sturgis city planning couldn't do it alone. I also think that adventure rallies just aren't going to scale as well as the biker rallies... imagine 1,000 bikes riding around the BHNF trails on the same day.

Fletch

The possibilities for laughter would be epic Jim! At least 20% would have to crash?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

The ATV riders might file complaints w/ Forest Service because of all the motorcycle traffic...

Dr Psyko

Also, as cheap as ADV riders tend to be, I don't think as many t-shirts would be sold. Or maybe t-shirts would be the only thing sold? "I crashed at camp 5!" I'd love to see riders worse then me on the trails, helicoptors everywhere!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm gonna leave this to stew for a few more days and then call her this weekend with our thoughts.

Is there anyone interested in working with them if they decide to pull the trigger on this idea? If so you can contact me and I'll give you her ##.
This is something I would think about being a part of but I,m way to far away.

On a side not: This girl and her husband owned the KTM dealer in Bismark I think and over saw the running of a successful Hare Scramble event for some time. Her husband is now working in the oil fields of ND so isn'tt around to lend his experience to this thing.

It seems that quite a few us you would go to this event if it happened but want no DDSR connection to the event as a group. This is what I was thinking and the reason why I said what I did during the conversation with her. I figured this would be the case and the way I feel as well.

Thanks for all the comments so far, be sure to post any other thoughts, ideas, or if you are interested in assisting Sturgis in planning such an event or if you would be interested in volunteering in any other capacity. I will get you her info. I think it would take a lot of knowledgeable folks to pull this off.

chris_king

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...

I think its worth contacting Touratech and Rawhyde training center and ask them to get involved.  If they come, they'll market the rally, and when they show up so will the riders.