News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Yeti Update

Started by The Yeti, June 11, 2014, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDave

thanks  Hank I feel better           wait a  second         this was a value baised change and in no way reflects any age or riding ability right?

sorry you can't make it         but maybe you could handle the homeduties  and send  Oredenbacker  any way

Lonesome Dave

WOW, junior member to Senior member, skipped regular guy altogether!  You must be really senile, oh sorry, I mean senior.  :evil
Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

I am out for this rally.  3 little kids and life is busy!  Still got a ds bike and a street bike but they are not ridden as much as 5 years ago. 

Some history.  Flex (Brian Larson) has always been into off roading in jeeps, samurais, bicycles, whatever.  He started a little local 4x4 forum when he lived in Gayville that has since fizzled.  Knew him from there and from riding mountain bikes at newton hills south of Sioux falls.  Bought a 90 YJ from him prolly 10 years ago.  Eventually his love of off road and mountain bikes led him to a dr650 and he was hooked.  He was telling me about his buddies Ryan (littlejacket-sioux falls) and Chad (fringe fan-rapid) who both had klrs and liked to ride.  I also had a klr. (didn't we all?) The tiny original website gained some interest and by the first rally we had a small clan.  Chad moved the forum to the current one years ago so we lost a little original stuff but the vast majority of our existance has been on this site.  It has just grown since.  Chad still owns the site.  Hank does the web development and software upgrades.  If you have a smiley face "it was fun sticker" you have an original ddsr token designed by ryan. Ryan and Brian each moved to Colorado and I'm sure that Chads young family is taking precedence as is mine.  Hank talks about the years he didn't ride when his kids were small.  I'm still riding but my kids keep me busy!

Its fun to see the changes thru the years as the group has morphed.  Its also been awesome having so much fun with guys and gals from all walks of life.  I'm blessed to be a part of it!

-Bret

http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=10.msg19.msg#19  some pics from 2008.  Lots of klrs!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

For the life of me can't I remember where I heard about the MSN page that Ryan had going.   Maybe through ADVrider?

Other random history..

Chad owns the domain and set up the godaddy account, from there I figured out what the best free software (SMF) was and set it all up.    After the initial setup, its been a pretty low maintenance affair.

First post:

http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=2.msg2#msg2     (that also helps explain the common nickname question - and its a pretty funny thread!)

Msg1 has since been deleted, it was probably a test message I put up.

Yeti/Alan originally created the little KLR icons and other custom icons you see on the forum.   

Robmicgrn

Very cool history lesson of the ole' DDSR! Ill look forward to the book, and then the movie some day  ;D
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

ORedenbacher

Quote from: NDave on June 12, 2014, 05:23:42 PM
      thanks  Hank I feel better           wait a  second         this was a value baised change and in no way reflects any age or riding ability right?

sorry you can't make it         but maybe you could handle the homeduties  and send  Oredenbacker  any way

Yeah!  Good call NDave!   :D

Hank

I just was looking at the member list.   Of the first 5 members, 4 logged in today, so that's sorta cool :)

Hank

The Yeti

I found out about DDSR by just riding by the FnF one day (could have been the first rally, but I think it was the second), saw a bunch of dual sports gathered so I stopped in and the first guyto come up to me was Brian...I thought he was kinda weird at first.  :)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

I was trying to track down an archive of the old MSN group, but I don't know if that's possible.

Came across this also, which mentions the first rally:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?s=b6d55439d4f08304fd4846dae52a8781&t=41081

The Yeti

Your Google-Fu is awesome Hank!

So, looks like June 2008 was the first official rally...? Then I guess I am OG.  :)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Hank

So apparently MSN shut down groups in fall 08, not long after we moved here.   They moved it to a host called multiply.com, which then in '12 stopped hosting personal pages and turned into a retailer, and then ceased operation in '13.   So I'm pretty sure the old group is toast :)

loingrader

Wasn't much great info there anyway.  We mostly just shot the breeze that first year till the rally in 08. Then we had something to talk about (and pics of those poor 990 riders) and the rest is history.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Sportfaller

Alan... Still have the GSA?  If you ever look at parting with it, let me know!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"