News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

KLR vs. KTM vs. BMW

Started by The Yeti, July 08, 2009, 02:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Oh and my rubber band is intact and its 12yrs old.   Guess I got a good one.   :o

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on July 09, 2009, 03:33:46 PM
If I had one real bitch about the blackbird its the clunky shifting, especially N-1, which is also very common.   I don't remember any of my old Hondas having that clunky of shifting.  A minor complaint though.  I wouldn't give that bike up for love nor money.

glad you like the bird.  not much can be done with n-1, but for all other shifts, try preloading the shifter, just barely rolling off the throttle and just grabbing about half the clutch as you shift up.  it is amazing how fast it will change gears, and without losing any speed at all.

i don't ever notice the clunky shifting.  it took me just now looking at the forums to see how many people that bothers.  the engine is so silky smooth, maybe it makes the tranny seem extra notchy.  i've always ridden dirtbikes, my 87 suzuki gs450l and the 05 fjr i bought new that had the crappy tranny (which didn't shift as good as my xx).  guess it's all what you're used to.

i also don't notice any excessive clutch noise at idle.  i've got a d&d 4 to 1 exhaust which is not exactly quiet.  at idle it sounds like an old camaro with a cammed up 396 and glass packs.  at 9k rpm it sounds like a jet taking off.  i love it!

this bike comparison is hitting a pretty wide range of models now!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

I love KLR's, but I wouldn't go back after having a Katoom..     now having both though.. that sounds like a good option...

[/quote]

You musta changed your mind. Ahh...the power of the KLR ;D

loingrader

mike, you seem like a smart man.  i see you owning a klr someday.  you can only suppress klr envy for so long...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

LittleJacket

the klr really is the only way to go, but it should be modified with all the bells and wistles.  I took a two up trip with Angi back in Colorado.  We did approx 1000 miles and weighed combined with gear 500 lbs and the bike still had the stock spring.  If you are planning a two up trip-get a rear rack and put a big duffle bag on back for the old lady to lean against and then us a foam pipe insulator on the rack part for her butt.  get a heavy spring, this will be essential.  you won't win any races but it will be fun. 
rpjohnso