News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Winterizing the scoots...

Started by loingrader, November 10, 2009, 02:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

my normal winterization process for the bikes i don't ride all year.

1.  change the oil and filter
2.  fill the fuel tank to the top and add a blurb of seafoam
3.  drain the carbs
4.  pull the battery and put it on a battery tender
5.  make sure the tires have plenty of pressure and get them off the ground if possible

normally i ride my xx and klr at least monthly all winter long so they don't get winterized.  this year i've got an 83 gl650 with a barn door fairing that is comfy down to 30 with leathers and non heated gear.  i think i will ride it exclusively this winter and put the klr and xx to bed for the season.

does everyone winterize their bikes, or do anything different with their scoots?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I generally try to start them all monthly and run at least a carb bowl of gas through them.   If that's not going to happen I drain the carbs (usually just run them dry) and add stabil, and disconnect the battery and charge it a few times over the winter.

So far I'm still riding at least a few days a week.

loingrader

do you think that is better for the bikes than leaving them sit?  i've wondered if it was worse or better for them to run for just a few minutes like that.

i didn't mention before, but i also pull the plugs and put a little oil in the cylinder and run the piston up and down a few times to lube everything up good.  not on the xx, but on the klr for sure.

i've been riding my silver wing to work every day but the klr and xx have sat awhile because they don't have near the wind protection as that big old gl650.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

I've always been able to ride mine throughout the winter, at least a couple times a month if not more, so I've never had to winterize a bike.  I do keep mine on a bat tender when I'm not riding and it's really cold out.  Been trying to find some time to wash the WRR, it's pretty caked in mud at this point and I don't want it to become a permanent fixture...but any nice weather we've had, I've been riding!   ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on November 11, 2009, 09:43:51 AM
do you think that is better for the bikes than leaving them sit?  i've wondered if it was worse or better for them to run for just a few minutes like that.

i didn't mention before, but i also pull the plugs and put a little oil in the cylinder and run the piston up and down a few times to lube everything up good.  not on the xx, but on the klr for sure.

i've been riding my silver wing to work every day but the klr and xx have sat awhile because they don't have near the wind protection as that big old gl650.

My bikes are stored in a warm place (50ish), so I don't think starting them is a big deal.    When I do it I usually run them up to normal operating temp and 'til the cases are warm in an attempt evaporate any moisture in the innards.   Shouldn't be an issue in a heated garage anyway though.  

In the past I've used fogging oil on the last shut down, but I don't know if it does much.  Supposed to stick to things better than regular oil.   I think the most important things are draining the carbs (or run them dry), keeping the battery up and a little stabil (or seafoam/whatever) in the gas if they'll be sitting w/ the same tank of fuel for an extended period.  Draining / running the carbs dry is IMO by far the most important thing on the check list.    We all know how bad varnished up carbs can wreck your day.

I started my honda generator last week, first time its ran in 2 years plus.  Still had the two yr old gas but it started on about 5 pulls.    Stabil in the gas works wonders.   I run the carb dry when I shut it off.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on November 11, 2009, 05:48:38 PM
I started my honda generator last week, first time its ran in 2 years plus.  Still had the two yr old gas but it started on about 5 pulls.  

honda's are truly on another level of dependability

fringefan

Wow, feels like I have not been online in a month.

I hook up the tender every month or two and put in some fuel saver.