News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Low fender vs High fender

Started by plumber mike, February 27, 2010, 06:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

I got no responses on ADV ???. Maybe the topic has been beat to death. I got my 21" front on and would have to fab up some extensions to remount the low fender. I like the look of the low fender, but it would be easier to just slap on a universal high fender. The high fender looks as if it would block airflow to the rad and allow more mud/roadspray to kick up.

Which route would you guys go and why?

Thanks

Mike

Hank

My first trip DS'ing in the hills with the stock low fender on my KTM didn't go so well!   In the Badlands it packed full of clay and dumped me 3 or 4 times, then later the same trip a rock wedged between the tire and fender, breaking a mount then forcing the fender forward into the tire, locking it on a fairly steep downhill.  I didn't crash that time but it was close enough and I was pretty pissed.   I had a high fender before I went out again :)

loingrader

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on March 01, 2010, 09:53:59 AM
high fender.  no brainer.

Ditto.  I had no fun in Farmingdale with the low fender on my 950...

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

plumber mike

It sounds unanimous. The low fender is rigged on there so I could ride yesterday and today, but I think I'm going to get a high fender. Acerbis makes one with vents built in for cooling. Thanks for sharing your experience fellas.

OOFDA

I know trials bikes have low fenders for better ground visability. Both mine have the fender mounts over the top of the fender rather than under to prevent the wheel from plugging. The only time it gets bad is when it is muddy and you are riding over leaves. They stick to the wheel so carry a screw driver.

OOFDA

Dr Psyko

The high fender makes sense to me, but all the "Dakar" race bikes have low fenders. Can't figure it out. Like, really low fenders.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

loingrader

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Number Two

I think the low fender dakar bikes are all about providing full airflow for cooling the radiators and protecting them from debris.  Maybe it's just popular with the ladies, hard to say.