News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

HID lights

Started by Hank, April 05, 2010, 11:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

I installed dual HID lights in the Blackbird this weekend.     It's a quick, cheap, and useful upgrade.  I haven't got to do a real test yet, but they are BRIGHT, like can stand to look into them bright.    The camera of course doesn't show it well.

A dual set is around $50.  Installation took a couple hours.  If you do any night riding, I'd seriously consider it.  Should also help grab the attention of the day dreaming / eating / texting / sleeping cagers that threaten us daily.

loingrader

plus, they are less taxing on your charging system, which gives you more juice to run heated gear/grips, etc.

$50 is all they are now!  that is about 20% of what they cost the last time i checked into them.  no way i'm going to put another bulb into a bike if/when they burn out.  i'll be putting in hid...

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Yup the ones I installed are 35W. Stock halogen is 55W.

Here is what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270405415560

Blackbird takes H7 bulbs, then you also have to pick your color temperature.  I went with 5000K.  Chris got 6000K which has a more bluish tinge to it.

loingrader

in most states, changing to hid is not technically "legal" since they are not oem and can be blinding (off road use only).  i would NEVER worry about it (especially in sd), but if you were somewhere where a cop was looking to cause trouble, the bluer tint would be more of a clue that they were not what the manuf. installed in there from the factory. 

i'm curious to see if you get a lot of people flashing their headlights at you when your low beams are on. 

keep us posted!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I think the 5000K looks like "normal" light.  6000K and up is a dead giveaway that its HID.   That was part of my reason for choosing 5000.

I will definitely post how it goes.