News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Now we gotta pay for PERMITS??!

Started by The Yeti, January 11, 2011, 11:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Were you guys aware that we now have to buy a permit sticker to travel off-road in the Black Hills National Forest (both SD & WY, separate permits for both)?  Well, we do.....check the right side of this page, about halfway down:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110203&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5203036&navid=360000000000000&position=Feature*&ttype=detail&pname=Black%20Hills%20National%20Forest-%20Maps%20&%20Publications

$25 for an annual pass, $20 for a 7 day pass.

More bullsh*t from the feds, if you ask me.   :P

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

i don't mind paying $25/year for the money to be used on trail maintenance and expansion (if that is how it is used).

bit of a pain to have to buy 1 for each state.

a big problem the forest service has is funding which often times leads to trail closures instead of trail upkeep.  if this keeps more trails open then i'm all for it.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Sportfaller

Stover (heyduke) warned us all about this when the new travel management hooplah started. I agree that its BS. Raise everyones taxes a quarter and call it good.  Like I've said all along, lets see the Forest Service seasonal FPO's (forest protection officers) catch us on their tw200's.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

that certainly makes the t-dubs seem a little less appealing...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

doesn't this only apply to non licensed vehicles? i understood that if you were licensed for the road, you did not have to buy the ORV permit.

EDIT: i was wrong here it is
makes it even worse, if we wander into Wyoming, the Forest service requires we purchase a separte sticker. I guess the NATIONAL forest service will recognise the state line for the limited amount of Wyoming trails.

South Dakota
A Forest Service OHV permit is required for each motorized vehicle using motorized trails
designated open in the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota.
In addition, requirements for registration and licensing of vehicles with the State of South
Dakota can be reviewed at: http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/title/register.htm#Off or
by contacting a county treasurer's office.
Wyoming
In the Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest, roads & motorized trails have been
enrolled in the "Wyoming Off-Road Recreation Vehicle Program". This program is
administered through the State of Wyoming. A separate Wyoming ORV permit is required to
ride on these routes.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

JoniJo

Hi everyone.........
I read the blah, blah, blah on the link and it didn't tell me (or I missed it) if I can get a sticker on line. Does anyone know?
                                                                                                                        Thanks, Joni KLX330
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Bogus Jim

I don't think you can buy permits online, but you can get the S.D. permits via snail mail. More info in this pdf:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5203579.pdf

Not sure about Wyoming permits, maybe you have to ride to Sundance to get one? That's the closest location listed in the pdf.

Actually I guess Newcastle is closer for a lot of folks. Not as fun as riding to Sundance though.

Number Two

You can buy the Wyoming permit online $15:
http://travel.wyo-park.com/Campgrounds-and-RV-Parks/All/Wyoming-Department-of-State-Parks/Permits

In Wyoming, the rules were definitely made with no understanding of the dual sport enthusiast.  They expect you to trailer your dirt bike to an ORV area then ride it.  The state of Wyoming enrolls land from a variety of ownership, BLM, FS, State, private, etc, including single track, 4wheeler track, two track, dirt, and maybe even the odd pavemet section in the state trails program.  Off road vehicles need the sticker to travel on these enrolled routes.  Some of the enrolled routes may be motorcycle single track.  You would need the sticker - just having a plate is not good enough.  Some are just standard forest track, open to on road vehicles, so your plate would be sufficient without the sticker.  This is complicated by the fact that Wyoming also registers 4wheelers for the street, as in with a liscense plate and everything, and the forest service is a federal agency with their own rules on what applies outside of the few enrolled forest trails. 

So in Wyoming if you want to dual sport the single track, get a sticker.  If you just want to run the numbered forest roads, then don't bother.  The real question for you guys is what does the SD forest ranger (federal) expect when he checks your stuff on the wyoming side of the black hills?

Number Two

I read the SD page, and the question I have is concerning their 'Class of vehicle' system.  The classes are motorcycle, ATV, and street-legal vehicles.  I'd bet that you would have the same thing for the SD travel management plan as here in WY.  If you stick to routes designated for street-legal vehicles, your plated dual sport would count as one, so no sticker necessary.  If you travel the routes designated for motorcycle/atv, you would need the sticker.  Implied in the language is 'off-road' motorcycle.  Certainly a harley wouldn't need a sticker to drive across a numbered forest road to a campground, since that would be a route designated for street-legal vehicles? 

Since I know ya'll are a bunch of singletrack ninjas, go ahead and buy the sticker. 

loingrader

Quote from: Number Two on March 09, 2011, 04:52:14 PM
The real question for you guys is what does the SD forest ranger (federal) expect when he checks your stuff on the wyoming side of the black hills?

i would hope that if your bike is legal on the sd side you could claim ignorance that wyoming needed anything different, or that you were even in wyoming.  not like they have signs on every track and trail saying WELCOME TO WYOMING.

even the rangers would have to think it a bit asinine to have different regs on the same dirt trail based on what your gps coordinates are.

have never seen a forest ranger in the hills ever anyway. 

Dr Psyko

loingrader you're too reasonable...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

loingrader

i hope not.  time will certainly tell!

greatbuffalo

loingrader, I have seen a Ranger. We were out scavenging wood at an old cut site way out in nowheresville when a ranger drove up and gave us the 20 questions thing. At first I think he was looking for illegal grow equipment and contraband but as soon as opened the back of the Xterra and showed hime the wood he was cool.

I don't have much hangup about paying the fee, if your gonna use it you might as well pay for it. That being said, double permitting is pretty stupid seeing that its the same damn enforcement jurisdiction. If the fee will help keep stuff open and go to trail maintenance thats cool, but it bet it won't.

By the way......I want a TW200  ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

I agree.  I just hope that the funds go to trail maintenance and not trail closures.

A tw200 is also on my list of someday bikes.  They are impossible to ride without a big stupid grin plastered across my face.  I'll just have to make sure it is hopped up enough to outrun the rangers!

agspecialties

I have a 87 tw200. Just a fun little bike to play around with.