News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

My 2nd Grade Art Project, and Other Stuff

Started by Bogus Jim, May 15, 2012, 03:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

I took a blue crayon and scribbled all over Google Earth!  ;D   Actually this is a track log for some of the Upton single track. I rode over there last Saturday. Definitely a different "flavor" than the BHNF single track... lots of tight switchbacks, and some sand. Not that hard to ride, but hard to ride fast, and a pretty good workout.

The ride was going well, until I came out of a corner and failed to see a fallen tree that was overhanging the trail. I ducked, but not quick enough... WHAM on the side of my helmet. The sun visor was knocked loose on one side, the little air vent scoop on top of the Shoei Hornet DS went flying into the trees. Never did find that part. The hit knocked me off the track, but I managed to stay upright on the bike and not crash into a tree. I slowed down a bit after that.

If you enjoy single track and haven't ridden Upton yet, I would definitely check it out. Spend a day over there, it's fun. You can buy a trail permit at Decker's Food Service in Newcastle, or buy one online ahead of time. If you want to stop for lunch, I'd recommend Isabella's, a great little restaurant in Newcastle.

The next morning (Sunday), my neck felt like I'd been on the wrong end of a WWE piledriver, the result of hitting that tree. I decided to do an easy (old man) ride out around Farmingdale. A couple months ago, Sportfaller, Lonesome Dave, and I did a ride out to Farmingdale. Dave pointed out a landmark over to the west, Thompson Butte. I found a trail that meanders over in that direction. You can get close, but the butte itself appears to be on private land.

There are no cattle or deer in the photo, so it's hard to see the scale here. It's a landmark visible for several miles. If you look closely, there seems to be a ring of stones around the top of the butte. Not sure what that's about.

Here's a photo of Mount Fuji in Japan. Notice the striking similarity between Mount Fuji and Thompson Butte. I should get a Nobel prize in geology or something for discovering this. I think Mount Fuji is slightly higher though. I saw Mount Fuji from the window of a 747 once; it was an impressive sight.

About halfway through the ride, I stopped and took this panoramic view from the southwestern corner of the Farmingdale riding area. You can see Thompson Butte at the very left edge of the photo.

This was my first attempt at a panoramic photo. There were supposed to be 5 photos stitched together, but I did not shoot enough overlap on the last two photos, so the software would only join 3 of the photos. Not too bad for a first attempt I guess. Need to practice a bit.

This is Farmingdale a couple weeks ago, after a rain. Seems typical; after every rain, some yahoo in a 4x4 has to come out and rut up the trails. I ended up turning around here; it was just a bit too sticky that day.

This helicopter flew over the parking area as I was leaving. His flight path beyond the parking area was much lower. Practicing radar avoidance, maybe? I watched to see if he would fly over the power lines or under. He flew over. When I was growing up, one of our neighbors was a crop duster. Sometimes he would fly under the power lines, and I always thought that must take a pretty steady hand to do that at 90 mph. He retired some years later, without ever crashing. Beat the odds, I guess.

The End.

Fletch

so did you ride the narrow rock canyon? if so did you hit the ramp or miss it??
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Did not ride the canyon. I wanted to ride the whole C loop, but, it was already pretty late when I got to Upton. I'll probably go back again.

Fletch

the ramp is not on the C loop, but once you ride it you will know what I am talking about ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Nice report.  The mount Fuji pics and comments cracked me up.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Fletchonce you ride it you will know what I am talking about

Now you are making me nervous...

greatbuffalo

I went out to Farmingdale once in the Xterra but want to get out there on bike. It does get nasty slick when it rains.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?