News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Old Guy

Started by mark96, September 05, 2012, 05:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark96

Hi All,
New to the forum but not shiny. 58 and riding since my teens. Live in Winnipeg, Canada. Currently have a 2008 KLR and a 2001 KDX220. Have owned somewhere around 70 bikes over the years. Lost count. During the mx days I went through a lot of bikes!
Haven't ridden much in the last year cuz my back has been giving me some grief. Sitting at the computer is the WORST, so gotta be kinda brief.
I was directed here from a thread I started in advrider. Was looking for advice for 4 guys on stock KLR's for the middle of this September. I see that we are just going to miss your gettogether.

Anyway... wondering what areas/trails would be appropriate for us. We are going to be doing about 5 day rides out of Keystone. A mix of stuff would be nice with some easier dirt trails included (as 1 of the 4 is a newbie)
I've heard that the Deerfield area might be good for us.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

tannerc

trail maps of the area.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5292920&navid=360000000000000&pnavid=&ss=110203&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Black%20Hills%20National%20Forest-%20Maps

I think a person could go out and just hit the gravel in the national forest and follow your curiosity. Found some neat stuff that way.
The Hill City-Mystic-Rochford areas have some nice scenic gravel and forest roads.
Get the northern and southern national forest maps from a ranger station and make a route that looks interesting. To ride the trails you have to have a trail permit.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."