News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Custer Member

Started by Akunin, July 14, 2013, 12:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akunin

The internet is a lot like a drive through the hills, you blink and you miss something. I overlooked this site (not even sure how) and have been reading and catching up the last few months as my plans of getting a new-to-me motorcycle came together. Well now that its sitting in the garage I feel comfortable enough to come in to introduce myself.

I live in Custer (Black Hills) and have been riding one form or another of motorcycle since I was 8. My late Aunt introduced me to the two wheeled freedom that is the motorcycle when I was just a baby (I'm 37 now but keep in mind times were a lot different then). When she and her "friends" (as she called them) came through town she would always pick me up and down the road we would go. My Dad was the type that didn't care and wasn't worried but my Mom on the other hand... well lets just say never liked the idea. Every August my Aunt would roll in on her Harley and off to Sturgis we would go, quite the sight for a little guy to see back then but it did imbed in me a love and appreciation of motorcycle of all kinds.

My Aunt died doing what she loved and that was riding bikes and her passion kindled my own. When I was 8 my best friend found a cheap dirt bike when we were kids and after some toy trading we became co-owners and the riding hasn't stopped since. I suppose I need to mention that my parents knew nothing about that bike for two years as I kept it at my friends house :)

I've owned several bikes over the years be it a Harley, or the exotic crotch rocket but it wasn't until I got a brand new DR650 in 96 that I appreciated what a bike could do on and off the road. I was 21 living in Minneapolis and full of piss and vinegar. A friend in Las Vegas told me to come down and I figured why not. I'd made that trip many times on other bikes and I wasn't expecting to see anything new. I found myself looking down all the dusty roads that would disappear and I caught myself wondering.. where does that go? Quite a change from the street bike mentality I had grown accustomed to (my riding style at the time) and I found this new way of thinking exhilarating! Taking a street bike.. off road, truly off road. Well at that time I wasn't the kind to record any of my adventures on paper or even take the time to take pictures with a camera.. I just wanted to ride so sadly those trips are locked away in my memory. I ended up taking a few trails here and there but time was short and I road straight through from Minneapolis to Las Vegas only stopping for gas and the occasional chain lube. 26 hours later I pull into Vegas with the worse case of saddle sore I have ever had, that stock DR had the worst seat! That ride and the time I spent in NV I really enjoyed what a dual purpose bike was capable of and it stuck with me ever since.

Fast forward 15 years and here I am trying to learn to use a camera, gps and I picked up a "action camera" as well. I've got myself another XR650R and have spent the last week getting it ready to be road worthy. I got some great tires, bark busters (with blinkers on them!) LED blinker sets for the rear and a snazzy speedometer/odometer/tachometer for the dash. A few more bits here and there and I'll be on the road!

I'm particularly excited as my last bike I had to sell to bring me "back home". My mother took deathly ill and I sold everything to come back to try and help best I could. So for the last 3 years I've been without a bike of any kind... and being in the hills without a motorcycle is the closest I can describe hell on earth, at least to me. Every rally, every trail I would see I could literally feel part of my soul ache for that which was missing, a piece of who I am.

So here I am waiting to order the last piece of a puzzle that has been waiting far to long. The brain that will bring my red pig to life as a bona fide DS and that is what led me to discover this site. I've already gotten a warm welcome from a few of you as I posted a few times without introducing myself first (again, something I overlooked). :)

tannerc

Welcome to the forum! I also ride a BRP. There were 2 others at the summer rally this year. 
Join the yahoo xr650r group there is a lot of pig knowledge in the archives, even though the group is not real active anymore.
There is also a thread on advrider for the xr650r full of good info.
Top upgrades on the pig, Must haves,  IMO

Suspension
Tank
Stator
Headlight
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Akunin

Thanks Tanner, good to meet another BRP rider. I've been on the ADV for quite a long time and a silent member on Yahoo, which is why I was surprised I had overlooked this little gem of a website. I upgraded an XRR before with everything you mentioned and more, sadly it had to go but I'm glad to have another back, of all the bikes I've had the BRP is one that always gives me a little grin when I need it the most.

Hank

Great introduction, and again welcome to the site.   Hope we see you at the fall rally, and I'm sure some of the locals might see you before!

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Hank on July 15, 2013, 07:25:25 AM
Great introduction, and again welcome to the site.   Hope we see you at the fall rally, and I'm sure some of the locals might see you before!

"Ditto"

There's a southern loop that Bogus Jim put together that I still want to complete.  It basically starts in Custer and ends there, with a fill up in Newcastle.  We tried a couple of weeks ago to complete, but got side tracked with trails on our way to Custer.  Jim just did it the other day with his go pro.  see http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=1291.msg11087#msg11087

I'm up for doing it again, but have an out-of town wedding this weekend.  The bright side, my wife and I are taking the wee from there and headed towards the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Maybe the week after?

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Akunin

That was a good video! Thanks for the link! Right in my backyard. Funny how so much is familiar then there are those moments... "So that's what's over that way..". I can't wait to contribute! I picked up a Drift HD Ghost to make some similar video and now its just a matter of learning how to use it :)

Looks like I found my missing puzzle piece to getting my XRR dual sported. I've been looking for a Baja Designs kit and found a nice used one on the cheap so hopefully this time next week I've got the bike plated and hitting the trails!