News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New dual sporter (maybe?)

Started by Fletch, April 10, 2011, 11:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

stumbled upon this site researching 990 Adventures. I've been riding for 30+ years and now think it is time for an adventure bike. I currently ride a CBR 954 on the street and a KTM300XC-w in the woods. The last few years I find myself wanting my dirtbike when I end up in the middle of knowwhere on my street bike?? I think the Adventure would be perfect for my needs! This just isn't working out anymore:
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

loingrader

a 990 (or 950) adventure would be pretty much what you get when you cross a big cbr with a katoom woods bike.  sounds like you are on the right track.  

tons of power.  awesome suspension, great on road and off.  you may lose a little of the honda reliability and service-ability but for most ktm riders it is a compromise made willingly.

and welcome.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

I'm discovering that most of us come here from someplace else. (there seems to be a laguage problem in that last sentence.)
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

Fletch, I'm new here as well and came from the same basic place you, I've been riding a 82 Yamaha XJ 650 with some light mods and thinking its a dualsport, It aint!

Just took ownership of a 01 Triumph Tiger. The KTM was on my short list when I was looking

Good luck with your search for the right bike.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

i thought that bike looked familiar.  you made it onto this site 2 years before you joined.

http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=175.0

i love that water crossing picture.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

LOL.... yea, it was a fun ride, although my wife was not all that impressed?? She thinks there is somehting wrong with me? It took a couple years longer than I thought, but the big K-Toom is on the way!!

Hank

Post pics when you get it!   There are a few ex 950 owners here (me included) and yeah they are really fun bikes.

Fletch

finally picked it up, rode it 700 miles over the weekend and Love it!!

promised it that as long as it treats me right I will never make it ride in the pickup again:

see you all on the trails, or road, or wherever ;D

greatbuffalo

Thats awesome, a far cry from the CBR for the dirt. 700 Miles????:o :o :o

The Yeti

Very nice!  I still miss my 950 sometimes...   :'(  But the wife & I really like to ride together, and that bike was just too cramped for the two of us.  Sure was a blast, though.  Everyone says that the difference between the GS and the Katoom is that the 950 has 'soul'...I would tend to agree (after riding both). You just can beat the 950s for pure 'fun factor'!

Thank goodness I still have my WRR for having fun!!   ;D

If you ever wanna swap bikes again for a ride, let me know!   ;) ;D :evil
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 09, 2011, 10:54:53 PM
Thats awesome, a far cry from the CBR for the dirt. 700 Miles????:o :o :o

not as impressive as it sounds, 98% on the road ::)

Hank

Congrats on the new bike!   I really like that paint scheme.

greatbuffalo

I'm thinking that in 2 years when its time to rebike, thats whats its gonna be. One shweeet ride. Rode one last fall and loved it, just couldn't find one this spring within my budget constraints.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 12, 2011, 10:24:31 PM
I'm thinking that in 2 years when its time to rebike, thats whats its gonna be. One shweeet ride. Rode one last fall and loved it, just couldn't find one this spring within my budget constraints.

Cylehutt in Mandan has a new '10 (orange) on the floor. When I picked mine up he said to let anyone interested know that he would make a great deal to move it? might want to check it out?

greatbuffalo

Wish I could but this point in time I'm under a capital spending freeze mandated by  my financial advisor (read wife).
Thats why I stated when its time to rebike. She's given me a 2 year moratorium. :'(